Sunday, January 22, 2012

Football Food

Today I let Kenzie choose two things for me to make for the big football game.  Obviously I do not care at all about thegame, the sport, the team, or the outcome, but I figured it would be fun to try to make some "football food."  Kenzie chose some weird things,  but I said I would try them... and thus we have what feels like my least successful cooking day so far!  : /

So, one of the two items Kenie picked for me was a cranberry orange yeast bread.  You know me and yeast - I love making yeast breads!  - and I really like cranberry and orange together (in fact I made the cranberry orange quick bread a couple weeks ago!), so I was excited.  Also I was excited to use my new citrus zester from Tuck and Linda for my birthday - and let me just say it was amazing.  It zested the orange but didn't let me take anything off other than the top orange part - no pith! - and it was sooo sharp.  Loved it (and while I am on the topic, I am in love with my pastry board.  Thank you Tracy!  It is a joy not to have to take out my fluorescent pink ruler now!).  Then it was another enjoyable dough to knead because I had to heat up the milk, oil and water, and there might be nothing more fun than kneading warm bread dough :)  The only issue in the beginning was that the recipe called for slivered almonds, and we didn't have them.  I planned to chop up some whole almonds, but  when I went into the cabinet, the opened bag that we had in there had been discovered by moths.  Damn those little creatures!  We have another whole new container of almonds still out on the counter, but they were salted.  So, I decided that almond extract (which might be one of my favorite smells) would have to do.

I think I am being too hard on myself, because really, the bread came out well.  It is delicious and has a good consistency... and yet... not perfect.  It is supposed to cook for 20-30 minutes.  I checked it with 8 minutes left on the timer and noticed that the crust was already golden brown, so I figured that it was done early.  We cut off a few slices and they were pretty good - but then the middle was still a little doughy.  I absolutely loathe making mistakes so I got mad!  I preheated the oven to put it back in, and of course while I was waiting, Delilah jumped up and nibbled a hunk of it!  Talk about adding insult to injury.  I cut off the part she touched and still put it back in the oven, and it's fine now, but I was not happy that I made a mistake.  Lesson learned: this bread is not done until the time is up, regardless of how it looks!  I got so depressed, I refused to take any pictures of it :)

Then came the weirdest recipe I have ever done: corndog muffins!  Again, we can blame Kenzie for this weirdness.  Basically I had to make a recipe for corn bread, and then pop a cocktail weenie into each muffin.  I don't love hot dogs, but corn dogs intrigue me, so I agreed to try it... and I wish I didn't.

Obscene Corn Dog Muffins
First of all, the corn bread that the recipe made was not the greatest.  It was a "healthy" one, multigrain and regular flour - but it was nto very tasty and didn't seem so corn bread-y.   If I ever made these again (which I probaly won't), I would definitely find a different corn bread recipe!  It's really bad when the hot dog is the best part of your baked good...

Then, the hot dogs were supposed to sink into the corn bread to make a normal-looking muffin... but they never sank!  They stayed on top, and looked rather obscene (see photo at right!)!

To make matters worse, they stuck to the wrappers. Epic fail.  I will try to console myself by remembering that all I did was follow the recipe... not my fault if it was a gross one! These corn dog muffins are going to be mutt muffins very soon.  Hmph.

Recipes
Cranberry Nut Yeast Bread
Corn Dog Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment