Sunday, January 1, 2012

Dinner for Two

Tonight I was brave, because I made not one, but two different things, and one of them was something that only my mother and I would eat.  It's always risky to cook something that your whole family hates but it just sounded too good for me!

The first thing I made was herbed focaccia.  I hadn't planned on making this in addition to my main course, but I figured that it would help prevent my family from being mad at me for cooking a dinnfer featuring goat cheese and mushrooms :)  It came out GREAT.  I can honestly say that it was a ton easier than making bagels.  It only took a few minutes to mix up the dough, the kneading was quick and easy, and it only had to rise for a half hour before baking it for 20 minutes.  When it comes out, the secret to good focaccia is to brush it while it is still hot with olive oil and sea salt: mmmmm!  I can proudly say that it's almost half gone already.

Then it was time to make dinner.  I realized that I bake a lot more than I cook,  but I enjoy eating the end result of cooking more than baking, so I have tried to focus on cooking lately.  I made whole wheat penne with portabello mushrooms and goat cheese. I love all of these things, but my sisters would never go near mushrooms, never mind goat cheese.  Mom was a little iffy about whole wheat penne, but I think I made a believer out of her.  It took me a while (typical) but I am really happy with how it came out.  I even added peas and took out the parmesan (the goat cheese was more than enough cheesy flavor) - I always feel so chef-y when I do things like that.  Mom and I sat down alone for dinner and we both thoroughly enjoyed.  Rachael did complain bitterly about the smell of mushrooms, but I tempted Kenzie into trying a little saucer of pasta.  She even tried a mushroom! She still hates them, but she said the pasta was good :)

I amreally getting sad that tomorrow is my last day of vacation for many different reasons, but one is that I will have less time for my cooking resolution.  I don't know how working mothers do it, because when I get home from work, the last thing I want to do is stand up some more in the kitchen and think about anything!  I will have to really focus on my resolution to keep it up - at least till February vacation... yes, I am already counting down!
Dinner for two...me and Mama :)

A close up of the herb focaccia!


Recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment