Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Armenian Dream Couple: Pita and Hummus, or Bridget and Mark

Yesterday I decided to make pita bread.  It was something I had been wanting to make for a long time, because I love pita bread and I was intrigued by the blogger writing that store-bought pita is comparable to cardboard, and once you make your own, you'll never go back!  Since I had yesterday off for work, it seemed like the perfect day for some yeast work.  And by the way - I am absolutely flying through yeast these days.  There must be a better way to buy it than those tiny packets!  I need a good solid bucket or something!

So anyway - Mark came over at 1:00 and I assigned him to make his Dad's hummus recipe to go with my pitas.  There is absolutely no hummus better than Edward Ajemian's!  It must be an Armenian secret.  Luckily, I've been let in on the secret - and you are about to be let in as well.

The pita bread bakign went smoothly.  It did not take too long to let it rise, and the fun part is baking them one at a time on a pizza stone in a 500 degree oven.  They puff up like balloons! It was really cool.  The recipe I found is for whole grain pita bread; I learned that most recipes call for whole grain flour as well as a white flour, because whole grain makes everything too dense and tasteless.  This recipe called for whole wheat flour as well as bread flour.  I had bread flour left over from the bagels, so that was just fine.  I also learned that bread flour makes better bread because it has a higher gluten level.  I'm a bread expert!  Now I just have a large amount of whole wheat flour to use up... better start looking for new whole grain recipes! 

The only problem was that the recipe only made 8 pitas... and they are already gone today!  I wish I had a giant Kitchenaid mixer.... (MOM!).  Anyway, the pitas were definitely delicious - and much tastier and thicker than the pitas from stores.  I'm hooked!

Mark did a fabulous job recreating his dad's hummus.  With me making pita bread and Mark making humms, I said that we were the Armenian dream couple!  It was a delicious snack that turned into dinner for us :)  So without further ado, here is the Famous Ed Ajemian's Hummus Recipe:

 Ed Ajemian's Hummus Recipe:
1 can chick peas
splash olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
dash salt
juice of 2 lemons
4 tablespoons tahini

1) Drain chickpeas; save 1/2 cup of the juice.

2) Combine all elements in a food processor.  Use only 1 clove of garlic if they are large cloves; add more lemon  and/or salt to taste.  Blend to the consistency you prefer; I don't want it too smooth.  I like to remember that it used to be chick peas!

3) Voila!  Enjoy your authentic middle eastern hummus, preferable with homemade pita bread!

Recipe:
Homemade whole grain pita bread
Mark's hummus, and my pita! Just another match made in heaven...

No comments:

Post a Comment