Monday, January 23, 2012

Cupcakes to Brighten Up a Monday

Beautiful little cupcakes, pre-glazing
I was going to take tonight off from my resolution, but then I stumbled on this recipe, and I was intrigued: glazed doughnut cupcakes!  They were compared to Krispy Kreme doughnuts. That brought me back to my first road trip to Montreal, stopping by the Krispy Kreme factory and eating fresh, hot doughnuts right out of the ovens (or fry-o-lators?)  As a person who doesn't love sweets (and yet loves to bake), I have a special place in my heart for Krispy Kremes.  So even though I wanted to relax tonight, I simply had to try these!

Glazed to perfection!
They were very easy (except for the fact that I forgot that we were out of eggs, until Mark had already gone out to the store and come home... he's the best, because he went right back out without complaining!).  I forget how easy and quick it is to make anything without yeast!  The only spice in the cupcakes are cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.  They are not overly sweet (which I like).  Mom compared them to a plain spiced doughnut.  They are a really delicious cake - and they puffed up so beautifully!  There is nothing like a good cupcake crown.  I honestly think these are gorgeous; part of the reason why is definitely my new non-stick muffin tin from Mark.  I didn't use any paper liners because I am sick of them sticking to my cake- and they popped right out of the tins!  I was thrilled.  I love this new tin (and the boy who bought it for me!).  I double-glazed them with the doughnut glaze, and while they don't look as "glazed" as the picture, I think it adds just the perfect bite of sweetness.  Total success tonight!  It feels good after the newly named "mutt muffins" of yesterday

And speaking of my mutt muffins........

Well, at least someone is enjoying them :)

Recipe:
Glazed Doughnut Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment