Monday, March 5, 2012

Weird but Good

My goal today was to make a dinner that sounded absolutely bizarre.  You know me and my weird food tastes, so when I came across a recipe for caramel apple pork chops, I was intrigued.  I like caramel and apples, and apples and pork chops, so it made sense to mix the three together.  I was fully aware that from the sounds of the food, most of my family would hate it, but it was worth a shot.

Actually, this came out better than I expected.  My mom even liked it, and she hates everything.  Nick, who claims to hate sweet meat, ate his entire pork chop.  It certainly was sweet, with the sauce made from brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and the apples, but it melded well with the savory-ness of the pork chops.  I am still not a huge pork chop fan, but I liked the flavors I came up with today.

I stuck quite close to the recipe this time.  One change I did was to not peel the apples.  They were such a bright green color that I couldn't bear to get rid of them.  I think they made the dish prettier.  I also used 5 pork chops rather than the 4, simply because we had 5 people eating, so I think I ended up with less sauce, but it was fine by me.  I also didn't have any pecans, but I think that it would have been a great addition.

Note to self: don't start a dinner with the pork chops.  By the time they were done, it was too late to start a side!  I am still figuring out this whole plan-a-meal thing!  Thanks for Mom for the lightning-fast green beans and reheating rice from yesterday :)

Recipe:
caramel apple pork chops

No comments:

Post a Comment