Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My First Fish

Tonight I made my first fish for dinner!  I had found a recipe on Pinterest that sounded rather delicious, and I like that fish has little to no raw meat touching.  Marky was yet again my trusty sous chef, chopping onions and garlic like it's nobody's business.  I think we make a rather fantastic cooking team, if I do say so myself.  We made a orange zest, garlic and butter glaze for the haddock, and then made a sort of black bean and corn salsa with fresh cilantro (my new favorite ingredient).  You put the salsa down on tin foil, put the fish on top, and then fold the foil up into a packet and bake it like that.  One thing that was a little weird about the recipe is that it was supposed to be done in 20 minutes, but it took at least 40.  I think there may be something a little off about my oven, since it always takes longer than recipes say, but this was drastically longer!  It could be that our 4 fish fillets were about 75% larger than what we needed... but anyway, the wait was worth it!  This fish was absolutely delicious.  The orange juice and zest gave it a great citrus-y taste, and my new obsession, fresh cilantro, gave the salsa a great flavor.  Let's just say that the sheer amount of fish ingested by Mom, Mark and I is rather disgusting, but only the 3 of us like fish, and there were 4 pounds of haddock (okay, we overbought) all cooked to perfection!  This was a big hit and will find its way back to our dinner table again... when Rachael and Kenzie aren't around to complain.

Then, I moved on to my next dish.  We had a big loaf of French bread that had barey been touched but was super stale.  I hate wasting food, so I tried to finda use for it and came across a breakfast casserole.  I love breakfast and never seem to have time in the morning, so anything I can do the night before is great.  This casserole is called overnight blueberry French toast.  Tonight, I had to make the casserole and let it sit overnight in the fridge.  Tomorrow morning, it bakes for an hour.  I am a little concerned that I need to find the time to come downstairs, preheat the oven, take the foil off after 30  minutes - never mind the time to make the sauce that goes on top.  But I hope it will be worth it as Kenzie and I eat a delicious French toast casserole to get us through the day (Hat Day at work, which is definitely one of my least favorites... particularly during lice season...).  One thing I do not like about the recipe already: it called for 12 eggs.  TWELVE. An entire dozen eggs in one casserole!  I hate to say it, but most likely, no matter how good this recipe is, I doubt I will make it again.  The only reason I did it this time was that I had bought an 18-pack of eggs recently; but to use an entire container of eggs on one dish seems insane.  I'm sure this casserole will last us many breakfasts, but still.  Anyway, I should get to bed, since I will be up far too early tomorrow to work on my gourmey (eggy) breakfast!

Recipes:
Foil-baked fish with black beans and corn
Overnight blueberry French toast

No comments:

Post a Comment