Thursday, March 29, 2012

Strawberries or Mustard...?

Somehow, we have three containers of strawberries in our refrigerator.  All of them are opened, too, with some berries eaten out of each.  This is a much, much better problem to have than the fact that we also have three large open containers of mustard (uck).  I decided that whatever I made tonight had to attempt to address the surplus of strawberries, and thus we have strawberry shortcake cookies.

These were fairly easy to make, although the dough was more like a pie dough than cookie.  I even had to use my trusty old pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour.  The one thing that was a little stressful was that the recipe only calls for 2/3 cup of heavy cream, and there are about 3 cups of dry ingredients.  The wet-to-dry ratio seemed a little off, and the dough was way too crumbly to turn into cookies.  I added about another 1/3 cup, and I am glad I did, because they came out perfectly.  In fact, Kenzie said they were the best thing I made, and Allie and Mom both ate two. 

They taste a lot like biscuits (the dough recipe is very similar to biscuit dough) with big hunks of strawberries in them.  The berries stayed red and juicy instead of disappearing, as often happens with baked berries.  I did what the blogger said, and I didn't chop them, but sliced them pretty large to help them "stay alive" throughout the baking.  Basically, this is strawberry shortcake in one tidy hand-sized package!  Sheer genius.  It's a good thing we have 2 containers of strawberries left!

Recipe:
strawberry shortcake cookies
Strawberries everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment