Monday, March 26, 2012

Caramels and Alfredos!

Sorry I didn't update on my culinary adventures last night.  I made caramels, and it took a while, and then I went to see The Hunger Games movie, so by the time I got back and cut the caramels, it was too late to do anything but get right to bed.

Anyway: the caramels.  They were a recipe for salted caramels, which I love, but I have to say, they are not as salty as I want.  The recipe calls for a teaspoon of sea salt, which I did, and then it recommends salting each piece separately after you cut it!  I didn't do that part, so maybe that is why it isn't salty enough for me, but my family is wild for them.  Mom said it is the best caramel I've ever made (I went through a stage of making tons of apple cider caramels in November and December... I think I like those better, but they take about 3 hours total.  These take maybe 1 and a half).  The worst part about them was the cutting process.  With the apple cider caramels, they were softer and very easy to cut.  These ones had to be refrigerated, which I think made them much harder and very difficult to cut.  They are softer today, so I guess I should have just waited longer after taking them out of the fridge, but I was getting frustrated sawing at rock-hard caramels!  They are pretty good though, I must admit, and as far as caramels go, they were fairly quick to make.
All wrapped up!

Then today Mark and I made dinner for my family.  Kenzie was craving chicken and broccoli alfredo, so that's what we made.  Mark took charge of the meal and made the chicken, the pasta, and the broccoli.  I made the sauce.  Mark had found a sauce recipe, but it called for heavy cream, and I definitely do not need that, so I looked up a lower fat recipe.  The one I found was pretty damn good for being low fat, too!  I wish Mark had told me that he was cooking two pounds of fettuccini, because I should have tripled rather than doubled my sauce, but all in all our dinner was delicious. 

Recipes:
salted caramels
reduced fat alfredo sauce

1 comment:

  1. These were the BEST freaking caramels I ever ate in my whole entire life!

    ReplyDelete