Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, Kenzie!

Today is Kenzie's 24th birthday, so I let her make requests for dinner and a cake.  She doesn't seem to have the best track record picking things lately - think "mutt muffins" - but hey, it's the birthday girl!  Hence, enchiladas and Oreo cake.

The first thing I tackled right after work was the triple layer Oreo cake.  Take it from me: do not make this cake.  Save yourself the time, and the pain and suffering.  The first step is to make the Oreo layer cake; that went fine, and lulled me into falce peace!  Then I made the 2 chocolate cakes, and somehow, they both exploded in the oven.  And I mean exploded; they poured out into the oven and made a huge mess (thanks to Mark for cleaning it!).  To make it worse, since so much overflowed, my cakes were deflated and ugly.  Hmph.  THEN I made the Oreo cream - and it was runny.  Then I made the chocolate frosting... and it was runny.  I added confectionary sugar until I got rid of all the flavors in both - and they were still runny.  Finally I gave up, schlepped it all together, and called it a day.  The birthday girl liked it, and so did most people who were here... everyone except for Mom, who announced, "Bad cake.  Not a good cake at all."  Rude!!!  I didn't have any myself, not liking cake and certainly hating this one in particular.  I wanted to just sulk about the disappointment of the Oreo cake, but there was no rest for the wicked!

I made chicken enchiladas, with assistance from Mark and Mom.  They came out great!  Everyone really liked them - I even had one and a half.  Nick didn't add barbecue sauce, and Kenzie didn't salt it!  That is always a huge compliment from those two.  The only things I changed about the recipe was not adding jalapenos, and I added a can of pinto beans to the sauce to give some more filling to the enchiladas.  Serve them with sour cream, and: delicioso!

P.S. Thanks to Mark for my new apron and chef hat, just in time for the Super Bowl on Sunday!

Recipes:
Triple Layer Oreo Cake
Enchiladas

Happy 24th Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment