Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday

I have realized that I am the perfect Super Bowl party hostess.  I don't care about the game, so while everyone else is glued to the TV, I can spend my time in the kitchen whipping up interesting new appetizers!  That basically sums today up.

This morning, I finished up the bagels that I started yesterday.  I just had to boil them all, 1 minute per side, and then bake them.  They are delicious!  And much prettier than last time, although I have still not mastered the art of the perfectly-shaped, lumpless bagel.  Oh well: eat them with your eyes closed and they are amazing :)  I even got fancy and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top of 3.  Kenzie and Mom already ate one each and said they are delicious.  Maybe next time I make bagels, I will get even more crazy and try some different toppings!

When the bagels were all set, I also made a batch of lemon blackberry ricotta muffins.  They are amazing!  My mother's exact quote was that they are "to die for!"  Kenz and I had found blackberries for sale last week, and this recipe was in my mind since I saw it on Pinterest.  I am really glad I tried it.  It has a great lemon flavor (I think it is due to the finely-grated zest thanks to my beloved citrus zester... such a must-have in any kitchen!), and the blackberries we got were giant!  You don't fold the berries in since they are so fragile, but you push them into the tins once the batter is in place.  I could only fit 2 berries per muffin because they were so big!  Then there is a lemon zest and sugar topping.  In all, fabulous muffins!

At game time, my family, Nick, Alex and Allie got comfortable in the living room, so I had the kitchen to myself.  I first made pizza puffs.  I was interested in this recipe because it was on a healthy eating blog of recipes for the Super Bowl, and I like pizza (who doesn't?)  Basically I made a dough out of milk, an egg, baking powder, and whole grain flour.  Then I mixed in low-fat mozzarella and chopped turkey pepperoni, and I baked them in a mini muffin tin.  They come out like little puffs of pizaz dough with cheese and pepperoni, and you serve it with warm pizza sauce.  They were good, but you could tell they were low fat!  I think if I make them again, I would add some green pepper and salt, and take out the pepperoni (I hate pepperoni).  They're certainly a good starting point!

Then it was on to my next puff.  I also made mini puff pockets of gouda, honey and apple!  Anything involving cheese and apple sounds good to me, and this was my first experience with puff pastry!  My only issue with these delicious little bites of apple, honey, gouda, and chives was the wrapping-up process.  The recipe calls for you to make triangles out of the puff pastry, put the filling on the big bottom part of the triangle, and then roll up into a pocket.  This was beyond me.  I had no idea how to make a triangle into a pocket.  I even called Mom in, and she wasn't sure either.  There was no photograph in the blog of the folding process, so basically all 24 of mine look completely different -  and nothing like pockets!  Most of them look more like croissants.  But they are definitely delicious: the mix of sweet honey and apple, and the smokey gouda, and the peppery chives., and the buttery puff pastry... mmmmm!  Besides looking kind of bizarre, they're great.  Similar to my bagels: eat them with your eyes closed.  I spotted my mom eating at least 3!  As Gram always says, God bless her appetite ;)

Well it's the 4th quarter of the game.  So far, I have watched half of the half-time show (loved Madonna!), and a few commercials.  I just can't get into this game... or any other for that matter.  I am going to hit the hay... yes, before the game ends.   I mean, the Patriots are winning and all, and I hope it stays that way for the sakes of Mark and Kenzie (and thus for my sake, because if the Pats lose, they will take this out on me!). But it has been a very busy weekend for a girl who has quite the cold and asthma issues!  I made four different dishes today, and finished all my report cards!  Whew.  I need another weekend!

Recipes:
I'm watching you, Daisy!  No bagels for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment