Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Hate Cake

Hello, to my many followers!  AKA, hi to my aunts, mother and Laura ;)  I have not forgotten about my blog, but my back has been pretty horrendous.  After a day of work standing on my feet all day, by night time, I am miserable and can do nothing more than lay on the couch.  Luckily, it is February vacation week!  Perfect timing!  I can take care of my back and still find a little time to limp my way into the kitchen. 

Today I decided to give in to my mother's constant begging for "chocolate cake with vanilla frosting."  I think it sounds kind of bland, and as someone who likes weird and different food combinations (I am very intrigued by maple bacon cupcakes), chocolate cake with vanilla frosting is boring.  But, my mom loves boring food (we always say she hates flavor) and it was time to give her what she wanted!  I found a recipe for dark chocolate cake, so I was happy that it was at least slightly different... except then I couldn't find dark chocolate Hershey's powder, so it ended up being just a regular old chocolate cake.  Hmph.

I was hoping for a triumphant return to the kitchen, but it did not quite turn out that way.  For some reason, every time I make cakes, I somehow fail to properly butter and flour the pans.  This is now the second cake in a row that has stuck!  Argh.  I guess I need to go heavier on the butter next time - way heavier.  Then, we ran out of confectionary sugar when I was making the frosting, so I made less of the recipe.  I should have gone to the store, but my back was already starting to aches, so I made the decision to just go with less.  This was not a great idea.  When you make two layer cakes, you need a lot of frosting, because you have to frost the tops and sides of both.  Well, when you don't have enough frosting, you can only do the tops of both... sparingly.  This resulted in another ugly cake (remember, the cakes stuck in the pans, so they were a little strange-looking, and usually frosting covers that up... well, nto today).  I am kind of sick of my food being ugly, but today I can blame no one but myself for not going to get more sugar!  I have basically been half-assing my entire life since my back started hurting 2 weeks ago, and I really need to get it figured out so that I can start living again!

At least Kenzie and Mom say that the cake is delicious (but could have used that extra frosting!).  And Daisy looks interested...

Recipe:
Dark chocolate cake with vanilla frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment