Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Strawberry Pie

Somehow my family has a weird obsession with buying strawberries, but not exactly eating that many. We go through spurts of making ourselves yogurt parfaits, and then we forget about them, but keep buying more containers.  Hence we ended up with three containers of them last week - and these are the giant containers from BJ's, mind you.  That's why, when I found a recipe for a strawberry pie, I figured it was the perfect time to try it out.

I made my own pie crust, of course, and doubled the recipe so that I could make the lattice crust which I fell in love with doing back at Thanksgiving.  For the record - since this recipe, I also made another pie dough and this is my far the best tasting and the easiest recipe, so this will be my go-to pie dough.

What is beautiful about this pie - besides my awesome lattice crust -  is the simplicity of it.  Here is what goes in the pie: strawberries, sugar, and flour.  That's it.  Nothing weird or extra or unnecessary: you are just letting the strawberries be the star of this pie.  That makes it easy, fast, and really, really good.

I thought this pie was absolutely delicious.  The filling was sweet but not too sweet; it really just tasted like strawberries on a summer day.  Considering it's April and we are getting snow and sleet on Friday, it would certainly be nice to eat anything at this point that reminds us of warmer seasons, so I recommend trying this pie out!   Bring it to a cookout and you will be the rockstar of the party.

Here is the bad news: Mom and I were the only ones to eat this pie, and unfortunately I threw out more than half of it.  It was a sad waste and I am still mourning it, to be honest.  What kind of a house do I live in where I throw out three quarters of a delicious pie!?!  So come visit me more often.

Recipe:

strawberry pie
from The Southern Lady Cooks


Ingredients:
2 pie crusts, 1 for cross pieces and one for the bottom
1 lb. of fresh strawberries, capped and cut into pieces.
3/4 cup sugar
5 or 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Instructions:
1) Put one pie crust into pie plate (mine was 9 inches).

2) In a bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, and flour.  Mix well with spoon.  Put the strawberries into the crust.

3) Cut the top pie dough into strips and weave it for a lattice top - or you could cover the pie completely with another crust and cut some small slits in top to let out steam.  Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes until crust is brown.  Let cool before cutting.  You can serve it with ice cream :)




No comments:

Post a Comment