Sunday, April 7, 2013

Chicken and Cabbage Pot Stickers

I know you have already heard about my intense love for my vegetarian steamed dumplings.  In fact, I have made them twice since I posted about them, and my family devours them.  I am a little obsessed with my bamboo steamer, and with sneaking tofu into my family's dinner.  Anyway, knowing my love for dumplings, Laura recommended another dumping recipe, this time one with meat to satisfy my carnivores.  She said they were a big hit at her house so I decided to be nice and give them a try for dinner.

Here's the thing: I just hate stuffing with raw meat.  Remember when I basically cried because I had to stuff raw pureed shrimp (we called it fish paste) into raviolis and it was the most horrible thing ever?  I had flashbacks of that tonight, when I was shoving raw ground chicken into wonton wrappers.  But anyway... I persevered and dutifully shredded cabbage, minced ginger, and sliced scallions to mix into my horrific ground chicken, and then wore gloves to stuff the dumplings (with help from Rachael since I appear to be unable to fold my dumplings correctly.

I didn't get to use my beloved bamboo steamer for this recipe, because first you sauté the pot stickers in oil (giving them their trademark "brown" marks), and then add a little water to steam them in the pan.  Also we realized where the name "pot sticker" came from... not a fun experience for my mother, who was helping me cook the dumplings!

Most of these were eaten, although I bet all of them would have gone if not for the fact that it was also sushi night here and Nick and Rachael were making sushi rolls, so there were lots of Asian foods to go around!  And they seemed to be pretty popular.  As for me, I think I prefer the vegetarian ones.  I got a rather unsatisfactory "thing" in one bite, and you just don't have to worry about things like that.  The thing is, they tasted very similar to the veggie ones: the ginger, the soy sauce, the cabbage....  So if they taste similar, why not stick with the veggies and not have to worry about biting something that needs to be spit?  With that said, in all fairness, my family loved the pot stickers, and the taste was really delicious, so if you guys aren't a total meat hater, try these out :)  Thanks for the recipe, LG!

Recipe:

chicken and cabbage pot stickers

from Meal Planning Magic

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 cups finely chopped green cabbage
1/2 cup water
1/2 pound ground chicken or turkey
1/3 cup minced green onions
1 tablespoon minced peeled gingerroot
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 egg white
1 garlic clove, crushed
30 won ton wrappers
2 teaspoons cornstarch
4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
1 cup water, divided

Instructions:


1) Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage; cook 9 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. While cabbage cooks, add 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to keep cabbage from sticking to pan. Spoon cabbage into a medium bowl; let cool completely. Add chicken and next 6 ingredients (chicken through garlic) to bowl; stir well.
2) Working with 1 won ton wrapper at a time (cover remaining won ton wrappers to keep them from drying out), spoon about 1 tablespoon chicken mixture into the center of each wrapper.
3) Moisten edges of wrapper with water, and bring 2 opposite corners to center, pinching points to seal. Bring the remaining 2 corners to center, pinching points to seal. Pinch 4 edges together to seal. Place pot stickers on a large baking sheet sprinkled with cornstarch; cover loosely with a towel to keep them from drying out.
4) Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place half of pot stickers in bottom of skillet; cook 3 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Add 1/2 cup water to skillet; cover and cook 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Place pot stickers on a serving platter; set aside, and keep warm.
5) Wipe skillet with a paper towel. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable oil, remaining pot stickers, and remaining water.


No comments:

Post a Comment