Friday, April 1, 2016

Spinach, Mushroom and Ricotta Stuffed Shells

Ah, Friday night. I have one puppy on my lap, a little white dog next to me, and a big old hound in her dog bed.  All is right in my world.

And all is about to be right in yours, because I foresee spinach, mushroom and ricotta stuffed shells in your future.   I have made many different types of stuffed shells, usually just going with my old standby of spinach and ricotta stuffed shells.  These are very similar, but with the genius addition of mushrooms.  The fresh basil helps out too.  I would have to say these are my new favorite stuffed shells.  They also reheat great!  And stuffed shells are just such a great meal: built in portion control, tasty, filling, and customizable.

Shhhh don't tell anyone that I will be in bed before 11:00 on a Friday night.  Is this 31?

Recipe:

spinach, mushroom and ricotta stuffed shells
from Handle the Heat
yields 4 - 6 servings

Ingredients:
20 jumbo pasta shells (about half a 12-ounce box)
1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce (or 3 cups homemade sauce)
1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
8 ounces chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup grated parmesan
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated mozzarella

Instructions:

1) Set an oven rack to the highest position and heat oven to 400 degrees.  Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain and run under cold water to cool.

2) Spread the marinara sauce in the bottom of a large broiler-proof baking dish.

3) In a bowl, combine the ricotta, spinach, basil, mushrooms, parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Spoon the mixture into the shells and place them on top of the sauce.

4) Sprinkle the shells with mozzarella and bake until heated through, 10 - 12 minutes.  Then increase heat to broil and broil until cheese begins to brown, 2 - 5 minutes.  Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment