Saturday, April 30, 2016

Banana Carrot Dog Treats

I am up and about early this morning because I have two dog-sitting jobs today!  Can I even call that a job?  Because I would have done it for free :)  Anyway, I figured I should use this time to post another recipe from my picture-less backlog.  And how appropriate that my post is for dog treats?

I like to make homemade dog treats; I like that they aren't from China and packed with weird things. Plus I like to bake for the ones I love, and I love no one more than my girls (sorry everyone else).  I had some black bananas and had to make either some banana bread, or some banana carrot dog treats!  The dogs won out.

These treats are made with whole wheat flour and oatmeal, and flavored with banana, carrot, optional brown sugar, and parsley (which also helps with bad breath!).  Some coconut oil and an egg hold everything together.  They get baked, and then left in the oven for 20 minutes to harden like store-bought dog biscuits.  I made big ones and small ones so that Poppy, Ginny and Delilah would all have proper sizes.  They loved them!  Then again, Ginny eats poop so we can't exactly take her word for it!  :)

Recipe:

banana carrot dog treats
from Homemade Dog Treats Now

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick cook oatmeal
1 banana, mashed or pureed in a food processor
2 carrots, shredded
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional; I left it in)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 egg

Instructions:

1) Grease baking sheet and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and stir until well-combined.

3) Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface.  Press flat with your hands or use a rolling pin to roll dough to 1/4 to 1/2-inch thickness.  Cut out using cookie cutters.

4) Place cookies on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.  Pull out the cookies after baking for a softer treat, or crack oven door and leave the sheet in there for 20 minutes for treats to harden.  Store in an airtight container in a refrigerator, or freeze for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment