Friday, April 29, 2016

Grapefruit Yogurt Cake

It's been a while, huh?  Don't worry, I am doing just fine. I had a great week off on vacation last week, but then I had a phone-tastrophe, and lost everything, from my photos to my contacts to my texts.  I have since come to terms with this disaster, but I have some bad blog news: this is not good news for you.  This means that I have lost pictures of the next few recipes to share, and also that I am sure that I will be forgetting some of them!  I use the pictures to remind me what recipe is next up to share, so we will simply have to rely on my memory.  I know of a few good ones, but the mediocre ones are hazy (maybe that's not a bad thing!).  I knew that this was the next one on my list though, so deal without pictures and use your visualizing skills!

Actually the more I remember, the more I think that this is a good post to have without pictures.  I sort of burned this cake.  But now you can just picture it perfectly browned, and not sorta black on the sides!

So, grapefruit cake!  My mom and Kenzie had brought me grapefruits from Florida back in February per my request.  I think grapefruits are one of my favorite fruits.  I ate all but one, which was getting a little soft and not perfect for eating, but perfect for baking with!  I know there are about a million recipes for baking with oranges or lemons, but why not grapefruit?  Where is the grapefruit love?  A little Googling led me to Smitten Kitchen (love her) and her grapefruit yogurt cake.  It uses both grapefruit zest in the cake, and the juice that you pour over the cake while it's still warm.  Mmmmm.  Plus there is a glaze with even more grapefruit juice that gets drizzled over the cake right before you go to town on it.  Sheer grapefruit perfection.  It's a super grapefruity, super moist cake that stays good for days, and you can even pretend it's breakfast food.  I did anyway ;)

Recipe:

grapefruit yogurt cake
from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (I used Greek)
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar (divided)
3 extra large eggs (not only did I use extra large, I used duck eggs! Fun fact)
1 tablespoon grated grapefruit zest (approximately one large grapefruit)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
for glaze:
1 cup confectionary sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice

Instructions:

1)  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.  Line the bottom with parchment paper.  Grease and flour the pan.

2) Soft together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.  In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, grapefruit zest, and vanilla.  Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

3) Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup grapefruit juice and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear.  Set aside.

4) When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan 10 minutes.  Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan.  While the cake is still warm, pour the grapefruit juice-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in.  Cool.

5) For the glaze, combine the confectionary sugar and grapefruit juice and pour over the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment