Sunday, April 10, 2016

One Pot Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese

I went back on forth on whether to share this recipe or not, because it was not my most popular.  But I think it was my own fault and not the recipes, so here goes nothing.

I made this one pot spinach and artichoke mac and cheese for a pot luck at school.  Kenzie had made a similar recipe the week before and it was delicious.  I was looking for something that wouldn't take too long because my night was a busy one, and preferably something in a crock pot.  It was on a half day at work where I would not get a single break from the kids to run to the kitchen and put something in the oven, so it needed to be fairly self-sufficent.  After having Kenzie's mac and cheese, I got that in my head, and decided to try to make it the night before, and then heat it up in my slow cooker for the next day.

Yeah that was not my best idea.  It kind of dried it out and the noodles got a bit mushy.  The flavor was still good, but the texture was off.  Luckily I had eaten some the night before and got to experience it at its peak; the spinach and artichokes are a great addition to a cheesy pot of elbow noodles.  I was sure it would be a hit!  And then... no.  I ended up with tons left over.  I brought some to Gram, who has trouble eating anything but mush anyway.  She remarked that it would have been better with some hamburger.  "Um, it's mac and cheese," I explained, but then again Gram hates everything except her own cooking (and she doesn't cook anymore, so she hates everything except Cheetos).

I did give some to Christy, who liked it and had the Tupperware back to me within the hour, and ate plenty for leftovers (for about a million years).  I don't think was an epic fail.  Please redeem this dish for me.  Make it, don't dry it out, and then tell me if it went over better for you!

Recipe:

one pot spinach and artichoke mac and cheese
from House of Yumm
serves 6 and I doubled it... sigh

Ingredients:
14 ounces small elbow macaroni noodles
8 ounces shredded jack cheese
4 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
14-ounce can artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and drained (squeeze out all the excess water)
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Instructions:

1) In a large pot, boil salted water and add in the macaroni noodles.  Boil while stirring occasionally for 10-12 minutes until soft.  Drain water and return noodles to the pot.  Reduce heat to low.

2) Add in the milk, butter, and cheese.  Stir until well combined and the cheese is completely melted.

3) Add in the spinach and artichokes.  Stir until well combined.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve and do not dry it out and turn everything to mush in a slow cooker!

No comments:

Post a Comment