Saturday, August 4, 2012

No More Vacations!

Okay, okay.  I'm finished.  I'm sorry.  After my fourth week of being on vacation this summer, I think I am finally finished with long trips!  California, New Hampshire - and last week, Maine.  I have really enjoyed my time away this summer, but it's nice to be home too.  My poor little abandoned blog will be abandoned no more!

Yesterday I went blueberry picking with Kenzie, Maggie, Cathleen and Amelia when we got home from Maine.  We got back just in time to join them.  Now, my advice is not to go blueberry picking on a 90-degree day, because we all thought we were about to succumb to heat stroke right there in the field.  But it was well worth it, because we ended up with multiple pounds of fresh, juicy blueberries!  This so overwhelmed me with great baking ideas that I very well could have spent all of today browsing blueberry-y recipes, but Mom came to my rescue and asked for demanded blueberry muffins.


Now, I have made blueberry muffins before.  It was my dad's old hand-written recipe.  And don't get me wrong, they are great.  But Mom said she has always been on the lookout for the perfect blueberry muffin recipe.  She is picky (shocker) and says they must be" not too sweet", "full of berries", "no extras" (i.e. topping or lemon), "moist," and "gummy" (which I am not sure exactly what she means by that but it sounds disgusting).  So I decided to see if I could find another recipe that sounded promising.

Enter: blueberry muffin recipe from the Brown-Eyed Baker blog.  She raved about them, the pictures looked great, and the recipe was different.  You don't use a mixer.  You mix the dry ingredients together.  I know, that doesn't sound so different, but then the wet ingredients get a bit crazy.  You whisk the egg and sugar together to make a thick mixture, then whisk in melted butter and sour cream until you basically have this thick cream that gets folded into the dry mixture.  The batter is very thick, and a bit hard to mush into your muffin tin (or in my case, my beloved silicone cups), but trust me: they are worth the struggle. 

These muffins are damn good.  Lots of blueberries - a cup and a half - make them juicy and sweet, and the cake is soft and moist.  The flavor is excellent.  Mom even called them "a home run," which you should know is a very big compliment.  She even said I should keep them on hand at all times, and wants another batch baked tomorrow.  I would have made more tonight, but the recipe uses 1  1/2 cups of sour cream, and I didn't have enough.  I will be making  more though: there are only 3 left!


There are a lot of green berries in that basket...
Recipe:
blueberry muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment