Saturday, August 25, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Glazed Doughnuts

Well this is it.  No more denial.  Today is really my last day of summer vacation.  Tomorrow I am going in to my classroom with Anne (god knows I need decoration help, and she very generously offered the assistance!), and Monday is our first day back.  Kids start Tuesday.  I wish I could say I was pumped for a new year... I feel like probably lots of really good teachers feel this way... but I am more devastated than pumped.

In an attempt to make myself feel better, I used my new doughnut pan today.  Mark and I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond recently and we stocked up on cool things like a silicone baking mat, a huge new cutting board, and a doughnut pan.  I had seen a few recipes for baked doughuts, and you really can't make them without the pan.  It's basically a muffin tin, but instead of a hole in the pan, it's a circle.  There are six of these circles, so each pan can make 6 doughnuts at a time.  Note: most recipes make ore than 6 doughnuts, so you might want to buy two pans unless you like washing and cooling them down in between batches!

Anyway, today I made blueberry lemon glazed doughnuts.  I pinned this recipe a long time ago, but, lacking the pan, had to wait.  Today was a good time for it. We still have lots of blueberries from our picking excursion, and weird amounts of ricotta in the fridge.  They were quick to mix together, and I could do it all in one bowl, which I like.  Like I said earlier, the only thing that took a while was the fact that I only had the one doughnut pan, so there was a lot of cleaning and cooling in between batches.  I think I made three full batches, and a half of another.  Sooo, 6 x 3 = 18 + 3 = 21 doughnuts all together (that was me attempting to get back into teacher mode).

Luckily they have been a hit so far.  Mom even ate two and called them "a real treat".  I needed her to like them after the fiasco of last night's ginger cookies (by the way, Susie and Kenzie are obsessed with the cookies and fought over them today!  Go figure).  They don't look exactly like doughnuts, since they aren't fried.  They're a little flat on the top, but that's okay.  They taste great!  The ricotta in the batter makes them really moist, and the pop of fresh blueberries in them is delicious.  Then there is the lemon glaze on top, which gives them a sweetly sour-y crunchy part. 

Shout-out to Tracy who has called me on more than one occasion for "cooking advice" :)  Makes me feel like a real blogger!

Recipe:
blueberry lemon glazed doughnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment