Saturday, August 11, 2012

Crunchy Black Bean Tacos

A few days ago, I pinned a meal on Pinterest called crunchy bean tacos.  Basically every day, Kenzie has asked me to make them.   For some reason or another, I didn't get a chance to try them out until today for lunch.  They were pretty easy to make, since all you do is mix up the filling, put them in corn tortillas, and fry them up in a pan. 

Being a hand model as I sprinkle on some cheese!
Corn tortillas are an interesting item.  They are found in the refrigerator at the grocery store - who knew?!?  And they are nearly impossible to burn, which is always a plus.  Also, since I know you heard me lamenting the other day about my lack of food flipping skills, they hold their form really well and make flipping my little tacos pretty easy!

Anyway, the filling is black beans, red onion, paprika, cumin, and pepper jack cheese.  You fry the tacos up and make then nice and crispy on both sides, then serve with sour cream and avocado slices.  Well, you're supposed to serve them with avocado at least.  Kenzie bought one and it was moldy and soft :( But I do think it would have been a welcome addition.  The tacos were great: crunchy outside, melty cheese beany (is that a word) inside.  In fact, a certain sister of mine may or may not have eaten somewhere in the range of 4-5 tacos.  And even Nick ate one despite the fact that they did not have meat, and the fact that they did have vegetables inside. 
Great grating!

One last note: I have become a real believer in the power of grating your own cheese.  Okay, maybe the word "power" is an exaggeration, but I really do think that the pre-grated stuff is stiffer and less creamy than when you buy a block of real life cheese.  They must put something in it to make it not all stick together in one great cheesy lump in the bag, and that makes it not as perfect as when you grate your own.  I never thought I'd be the person keeping large lumps of Parmesan, mozzarella and pepper jack in my fridge - or, for that matter, that person who even has an opinion about grating your own cheese - but I tell you, I'm a believer.  Plus I am so in love with the grater I got for my birthday back in January, I basically like to grate anything.  This has unfortunately included my finger a few times.



Recipe:
crunch black bean tacos

1 comment: