Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dos de Mayo

I have been in a frenzy of yogurt creation lately.  Yesterday I made a double batch of it - which by the way cannot happen again until I get a larger sieve, because it was a little scary pouring the yogurt in there this morning.  Also I can't make any more until I get a new candy thermometer.  Mine took the whopping 4-inch fall from the side of my pan onto the stove and shattered.  Cheap crap.  I was a little heartbroken but I guess I will have to add that to my kitchen supply wish list, along with a larger strainer! Anyway, in addition to the yogurt, I also made another fruit mix-in last night.  I found in our freezer a bag of frozen berries: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries, so I made what I am calling the quadruple fruit mix-in.  Haven't gotten to try it yet, but I am looking forward to it tomorrow morning for breakfast with some of my new yogurt :)  My last batch was delicious, and the sauce and yogurt were both devoured in less than 24 hours!

Tonight, I had a plan for dinner, but couldn't find any of the ingredients I needed in Westminster, and I was too lazy to go to Gardner, so I changed my plan and went with Mexican lasagna.  I figured that, with the busy next three days I have, this is our last chance to celebrate Cinco de Mayo before the actual day!  We can call it Dos de Mayo.  I had made this before a month or so ago and it was a big hit.  It was a big hit tonight too!  It is really quick to throw together - and it has fresh cilantro.  You know how I feel about fresh cilantro.  Serve it with some Mexican rice and you have an excellent meal on your hands.  I highly recommend it.

Recipe:
from Annie's Eats, adapted from A Couple Cooks


Directions

1)  Preheat the oven to 400˚ F. Have a 9 x 9-inch baking dish ready. In a large bowl, combine the black beans, corn, green onions, cilantro, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, and salt.

2) Spread a thin layer of tomatoes over the bottom of the baking dish (approximately one fifth of the total amount). Layer with a 3-4 lasagna noodles, breaking them as needed to fit the pan.

3) On top of the layer of noodles, spread about one third of the bean mixture. Layer evenly with about one quarter of the remaining tomatoes. Sprinkle with one quarter of the cheese.

4) Repeat the layering process two times more (noodles, beans, tomatoes, cheese, noodles, beans, tomatoes, cheese). The last layer will be noodles, tomatoes, and cheese. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 35-45 minutes, or until noodles are tender and cooked through. Remove the foil from the top and bake 5 minutes more, until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment