Thursday, October 1, 2015

Fresh Corn Salad

I know, I know.  Fresh corn is sort of over since it's now October.  But back in late August, it was still glorious.  Mom, Rachael and I went to Idylwilde Farm in Acton, which is a place that makes me wish I was rich.  It's a farm stand that goes beyond veggies (although the ones they have are gorgeous, as you can see below).  They also make sandwiches, soups, pies, Chinese food, salads, pasta dishes, casseroles... you name it.  I had a to-die-for Caprese sandwich there, and we also grabbed a free sample of corn salad.  It was so simple, and yet so delicious.  What I could see were fresh corn kernels and scallions, and that was about all I could taste, too; it was fresh, bright, sweet, and let the corn be the star.

I decided to recreate it at home with some of their corn.  I know, who am I, right?  "I'm going to make my own recipe."  I never say that.  But I did say it, and I did it, too.  It was so simple, even I could figure it out.  I decided not to cook the corn because all summer long, adding fresh corn to dishes was sort of my thing.  I like to leave it sweet and poppy.  Then I dressed it as simply as possible with a tiny bit of olive oil.  You could add honey if you want to make more of a sweet dressing, but again, I wanted the corn to be the rock star of the dish.  I couldn't ignore the scallions, and salt and pepper were a must. Then I was done.  And this dish was devoured faster than you could believe (almost faster than it was to make it, which is very fast since it's one step!).  It tastes like summer.  I hope you remember it next summer when corn comes back in season! :(

Recipe:

fresh corn salad
a Bridget Cooking original, inpired by Idylwilde Farm's salad
serves 4

Ingredients:
3 - 4 ears of corn, kernels removed from cobs
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
3 scallions, diced
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Serve room temperature or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment