Sunday, October 25, 2015

Eggplant Ravioli Soup

Last month, I was the lucky recipient of four eggplants from friends at work.  I had no plans for them, but when someone offers me eggplants from their gardens, I do not know how to say no.  So I took them all in and then started scouring my Pinterest boards for eggplant recipes, and I decided on this eggplant ravioli soup.  It was just starting to get cold, and a nice hot soup full off eggplant and ravioli sounded like sheer perfection.  And, it was.

This soup is very quick and easy.  There are only 3 steps, and one of of them is to stir in the ravioli and cook for a few minutes.  It is a perfect weeknight dinner.  The recipe actually calls for raviolini, which are mini raviolis, which I couldn't find.  The big ones worked just fine.

This soup was really good.  I ate it for days and it made great lunches.  I even brought some for work friends because it makes a huge pot.  Simple, warming and delicious.  Throw in some grated carrot or diced celery if you want it to be a little heartier - just promise me you won't add any meat.  Unnecessary!

Recipe:

eggplant ravioli soup
adapted from Wine and Glue
serves 8

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium eggplant, diced into 1/4 inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 ounces vegetable stock
28 ounces diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 pound raviolini or ravioli (tortellini can be substituted already)

Instructions:

1) Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat.  Add the eggplant and garlic, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook until the eggplant gets soft, about 5 minutes.

2)  Add the stock, tomatoes, and basil, and bring to a boil.

3) Stir in the ravioli and cook about 3 to 4 minutes until just done.


No comments:

Post a Comment