Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Bundt Cake

My friends and I have started the best thing ever.  We call them BYOI Nights - Bring Your Own Ingredients.  If you follow the blog, you know that's a rule I instituted when I was living with my family still.  If they chose a recipe and went grocery shopping for the ingredients, I would cook it for them.  Meat and all.  I still feel like this is a great deal, but frankly the offer was rarely taken.  I think Nick was the most common BYOI-er, followed by Kenzie and my mom.  Rachael complained about it bitterly.

But, my friends decided we would do a BYOI dinner once a month here at my house.  Everyone pitches in to bring the ingredients (and the wine), and then we gather here, I cook, we eat, and it's awesome.  We have done one in September and one in October, and we already have our November date booked.  I seriously love my friends and I look forward to our BYOI nights like crazy!

In the September night, we made pizzas.  I made dough and Katie and Caitlin brought toppings. I also made this cake for dessert.  Dani was sick and unable to make it, so we were free to spread gluten around the kitchen in dangerous clouds.  I had planned on gluten-free delicacies, but they would have to wait for October's dinner!  Wait for the brownies :)

Now, this cake went over great; my friends ate it and loved it; they both happily took some home, and I sent the rest to my mom's (you know me - I'm not a cake person).

But with that said, I will be honest: I cannot for the life of me find the recipe that I used.  I spent two days searching for the exact one, and this is as sure as I can be.  I did not have a streusel topping, and I didn't use a glaze although it's possible that I just don't make one even if it was called for.  I am at least 55% sure that this is the right recipe.  Either way, it looks very similar, so if you're craving a bundt cake with a cinnamon filling, here you go :)

Recipe:

cinnamon streusel coffee bundt cake
from Baked by Rachel 

Ingredients:
for topping:
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
for filling:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
for cake:
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons sour crea,
1 cup all-purpose flour
for icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Instructions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease and 8-inch bundt pan.

2) In a medium bowl, combine topping ingredients with a fork until crumbly.  Break up and large pieces.  Set aside.

3) In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients.  Set aside.

4)In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar.  Mix in egg and vanilla until smooth. Add remaining dry ingredients, mixing until combined.  Finally add sour cream, mixing until all ingredients are incorporated and no streaks remain.  Scrape bowl as needed.

5) Scatter topping ingredients into the bottom of the bundt pan.  Carefully spread out half of the batter over the streusel topping.  Sprinkle with brown sugar filling and top with remaining batter.

6) Bake for 50 - 55 minutes or until dark and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

7) Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.

8) In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk.  Drizzle over cooled cake.  Slide with a sharp knife and serve.  Store leftovers in an airtight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment