Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mutt Muffins Indeed

I don't know what got into me tonight, but I just finished making a meat item.  Okay, I do know: Kenzie asked for these, and Amanda had made them and said they were delicious, and I am always intrigued by food in muffin form.... even if said food is meat.  But to be honest, when I have to make meat foods, ground meat (except for beef... UGH) is less horrifying to me than having to hack hunks of chicken fat, or ripping off membranes (OMG remember those freaking ribs!?) 

So anyway, the muffins: when I asked Mark, Mom, Rach and Alex tonight if they would eat some, they said no.  Mark emphatically reminded me that he will not eat ground chicken, and Alex and Mom said they sounded awful.  I think now, looking back, that my mistake was calling them muffins... okay, fine, I kept calling them mutt muffins (which brought back bad memories of my failed attempt to make corn dog muffins back in the winter... and we gave them to the dogs and named them mutt muffins).  If you call these by their proper name, chicken parmesan meatloaf muffins, they don't sound as weird.  Mini meatloaves, basically, is what they are; I think my family was imagining muffins with chicken and sace baked inside.  They were very quick to throw together, and I was impressed with the many different spices to flavor the chicken: like dried basil, tyme and oregano, garlic, and Parmesan cheese.  They are topped with tomato sauce (I used Kenzie's own sauce since she made meatballs and sauce Sunday) and then a sprinkling of mozzarella (which I was out of, so I used monterrey jack... oh well).

Let me say this: I do not like meat.  You know that, I know.  But I do have to admit that these are pretty good.  They are moist, flavorful, and rather delicious.  I even made believers out of my mother and sisters (Mom said she wishes she could eat it on top of pasta, and Rach wanted more sauce but liked the flavor).  Mark and Alex did stick to their refusals to try them, but I would have to say it's their loss.  And they are only 4 Weight Watchers points, for those family members of mine who are counting points these days :)  And there are leftovers, so come on over!

Recipe:
chicken parmesan meatloaf muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment