Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Lemon loaf Cake

Well I was lucky enough to be stricken with the fall cold that seems to be flying through Glenwood Elementary like wildfire.  I still don't feel 100% - I think there is a real chance that I am experiencing my first ear infection - but I am good enough to entertain myself by baking tonight since I am home alone. 

I have been wanting to make Annie's Eats' newest cake recipe since she posted it at the end of August.  I do not like cake - I have been known to have Jello on my birthday - but I love citrus, so a lemon loaf cake intrigued me.  It uses a ridiculous amount of lemons (both their juice and their zest) so I knew it would be a little sour as well as sweet.  This most likely means that Mom will hate it, but I love that sweet-and-sour, tangy and sugary thing that citrus cakes got going on!

While Annie claimed it was easy to make, I would like to elaborate on that.  It kind of took me a while.  Perhaps this is due to the fact that I am half asleep and drugged with Benadryl, or the fact that I am the world's slowest lemon zester and juicer.  But I like to blame the fact that you have to make the cake, zest and juice 3 lemons, make a syrup, and make a drizzle a glaze.  Multiple parts to a cake means multiple hours if you are in a Benadryl daze!  It was okay though, since I had the whole night to keep myself entertained. 

It's in the oven now, and my entire house smells like lemons.  Definitely a plus about this cake!  Considering it's already 9:30, way past my bedtime, you may have to wait for photos and an update on the flavors of this baby.  I'll be grabbing a piece for breakfast- because yes, you can tell yourself eating lemon cake is breakfast because it has fruit in it.

Recipe:
lemon loaf cake

No comments:

Post a Comment