Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Apple Pie Cookies

This is not a good day for me.  I got 2 hours of sleep last night.  You read that correctly: 2.  I am not quite sure why, but the more I tried to figure it out, the less possible it felt to fall asleep.  It was not helped by the fact that there was a pack of psychotic coyotes in my front yard howling and barking and yipping and basically scaring the crap out of me.  Then when I got up, Kenzie was puking in the bathroom.  Yeesh!

Luckily my work day wasn't too bad, and when I got home, Kenz was taking her vertigo pills and begging for apple pie cookies.  She and Nick had picked apples yesterday, and with that huge basket full of apples and Kenzie looking pathetic on the couch, it was hard to say no.

These cookies are basically little pies, and they gave me flashbacks to last Thanksgiving when I made hand pies for so many hours that my heels ached for days.  And I do not really like pie dough.  But anyway, I persevered and made the dough and let it sit in the fridge for an hour.  Then it was time to roll it out... and though I asked Mark to eyeball my dough's thickness since I am really bad at estimating, unfortunately I am starting to think he isn't so great at it either.  The recipe claimed to make 20 cookies, and I only got ten out of it.  I also don't have a small cookie cutter so I used a small juice glass, which worked fine, but maybe it wasn't as small as I thought.  Either way, my ten cookies were not so easy to work with.  The apples and juice were squirting out the sides and making the dough wet, which then made it more difficult to seal, and hence led to quite a few side splits in the oven.

But nevertheless, these cookies are good.  In fact, Mark said they "may be" the best thing that I've ever made!  Big words from him.  He claimed to wish that he could eat 4, and for the perpetual dieter, that says a lot.  Kenzie and Mom both liked them but said that they wish there was a more even ratio of pie crust to apple, and I'd have to agree.  If I made them again, I would try to roll the dough out thinner.  It would be tough to add more apples though, since I had a hard enough time fitting two slices between the dough rounds, but I think if the dough was rolled thinner, it would make it seem like there were more apples.

And now... I will allow myself a half hour of getting passionate and worked up watching the DNC, and then it's bed time!

Recipe:
apple pie cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment