Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Labor Day!

Soooo very happy to have today be a holiday.  It nearly makes the beginning of the school year bearable when our first two weeks are 4-day weeks.  (Do not bring up next week please.)

Mark and I spent today going to random farms and picking up great looking fruits, breads and vegetables.  I am pretty sure this was his dream day.  When we got home, I set about making a salad to tide me over for lunch this week.  You have seen this recipe before: roasted vegetable chickpea salad!  I don't know what it is about this salad, but I am absolutely obsessed with it.  It's the deep flavor of the roasted vegetables, the salty feta, the snap of the fresh corn, the slight sweetness of the dressing, the bites of basil and chive... oh my lord.  I have made this salad three times, despite the fact that for some absolutely bizarre reason, I am the only one that loves it.  That is fine with me, because I am 100% okay with eating this for lunch at work all week long.  Mmmmm, I love this salad.

In addition, Marky and I tried a new beet roasting opportunity.  This time we rubbed them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted them for an hour.  Then we peeled them (Mark did, carefully wearing gloves because he is honestly petrified of dying his hands red!) sliced them up, and I had the ingenious idea to toss them on top of slices of the multigrain bread we bought today, with a layer of goat cheese.  Oh my lord.  Bread, goat cheese and beets is an ungodly delicious combination.  Between this and the salad, I'm almost in a good mood, except for the fact that it's back to work tomorrow!  At least I have some good food for lunch.  Is it 12:30 tomorrow yet?

Recipes:
roasted vegetable chickpea salad

No comments:

Post a Comment