Monday, October 1, 2012

Great Smelling House!

My house smells absolutely amazing right now because I just made muffins.  It smells like fall and cinnamon and pumpkin and all sorts of wonderful things!  Now, don't get ahead of yourself: this does not mean that I like fall.  I still hate it.  But I may love the smell of pumpkin muffins.  Don't get carried away.

Anyway Kenzie has another freakish medical issue going on (what's new) and today she texted me and said, "make me pumpkin muffins cuz you feel bad I'm on my way to a stroke plz".  How can I say no to that?  So Mark stopped at the store for me to grab a can of pumpkin (and bought 3, of course, so plan on seeing more pumpkin soon!) and I got to work tonight.

With Mom's Pumpkin Men!
It was nice to make a good old cakey recipe, mixing the dry and wet ingredients separately and then mixing them all together.  It feels like a while since I baked something like that.  The only weird thing was once these great-smelling babies came out of the oven.  The recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of butter to be melted and to brush it all over the muffins.  Now, they already have a whopping 10 tablespoons of butter in them, so the thought of brushing more on top kind of freaked me out.  I lowered it to 3, and then only brushed the tops.  Then I was supposed to mix 3/4 cup sugar with 2.5 teaspoons cinnamon to roll the muffins in, but again, I only did the tops.  I did mix those amounts, and ended up wasting quite a bit.  I would recommend cutting the butter down to maybe one tablespoon, and the sugar and cinnamon down by half at least.  I don't think the muffins need to be rolled in tons of butter and sugar.

Now, only Mark and I have had these since everyone is out shopping, but I think they are really good.  There is a nice, light pumpkin flavor and a really moist cake.  They are also not overly sweet.  There is only 3/4 cup brown sugar in there.  They are supposed to be rolled in sugar, like I said above, but I just did the tops, and I think it is plenty.

Even if my family hates the muffins, there is no way they will hate the smell of the house tonight :)

Recipe:
pumpkin doughnut muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment