Sunday, February 21, 2016

Tofu Parmigiana with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes

I wish I had someone else to corroborate my claim that this tofu parm is delicious, but obviously I do not.  I made this for dinner one night when I was on my own, and brought the leftovers for lunch.

One of the perks to living alone is that every night I can make what I want for dinner with no complaints.  I don't know many people in my life who would be happy if they were invited over for dinner for anything with tofu.  Tofu gets a real bad rap, and I understand it a little.  It's mushy and more marshmallow than anything savory should be.  But if you prepare it correctly, it can be a blank canvas that soaks up all the great flavors you want it to, and it can have more texture than a marshmallow.  Hence we have here the crunchy tofu parm, smothered with a super fast and delicious sauce made from fire-roasted tomatoes, onion and garlic.

The tofu gets the true parmigiana treatment, getting dunked in egg and then a mixture of parmesan, panic bread crumbs and Italian seasoning.  I am doubling the ingredients for that part of the recipe because I ran low on the coating.  Then it gets pan fried until it's brown and crunchy on the outside, but nice and soft on the inside. Top it with the tomato sauce, and you'll be Italian heaven.  I meant to serve this with spaghetti, but I forgot to cook it, and frankly I didn't miss it.  There was enough going on.  It was great.  But unfortunately, you'll just have to take it from me.  Trust the Vegetarian ;)

Recipe:

tofu parmigiana with fire-roasted tomatoes
adapted from Quick Vegetarian Main Dishes by the Pampered Chef
yield 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup panic bread crumbs
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 egg
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves

Instructions:

1) Slice tofu horizontally, and then into 8 1/2-inch thick slices.  Season tofu with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.

2) Combine 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, onion and garlic in a small saucepan.  Saute until onion and garlic are softened.  Add tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook over medium heat until heated through.

3) Meanwhile, combine parmesan, bread crumbs and seasoning in a shallow bowl.  Lightly beat egg in a second shallow bowl or tray.  Dip each tofu slice into egg and then into bread crumb mixture, coating generously.

4) Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to a large skillet.  Heat oven medium heat for 1 - 3 minutes until shimmering.  Add four tofu slices and cook for 1 - 2 minutes until golden brown.  Turn tofu over, and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella.  Cook for 1 - 2 minutes more.  Remove from skillet.  Repeat with remaining oil, tofu and mozzarella.  Thinly slice basil.  Serve tofu with sauce and top with basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment