Sunday, January 17, 2016

Thick and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies

These cookies were the result of a text from Kenzie with the link to the recipe.  Even though I am not a huge fan of baked goods, peanut butter cookies are pretty great, particularly when they are soft and chewy in the middle with a crunchy outside.  This recipe promised just that, without the work of rolling the dough balls in sugar or forking the tops or doing anything fancy.  Since I have been sick for about 3 straight weeks now and my energy level isn't at its highest, this recipe sounded right up my alley, and I whipped up a batch last Saturday night.  I mean whipped it up, too.  These were pretty quick and simple  Kenzie begged for me to bring her hot cookies, but she was patient enough to wait until the next day!

The end result was just as great as expected.  These cookies are soft, thick and fudgy - can something that isn't chocolatey be fudgy?  The insides are chewy while the outsides are crisp, and they have just the right amount of peanut butter flavor.  You want to know the secret to these?  Don't overbake them.   I know that, even as a pretty experienced baker, that's one of the mistakes I make all the time.  You really want to take these out at that moment where you think they might be done but you aren't sure.  Just go with it!

I gave them all away to Kenzie and to Jesse's family and got pretty high praise from both.  I may have to make another batch of these babies soon.  Just not today. Considering I just did laundry, vacuumed (I have pine needles everywhere... I should have taken the tree down earlier!) and mopped, and I am entirely exhausted by it!  Soon enough :)

Recipe:

thick and chewy peanut butter cookies
from Dessert Now Dinner Later
yield 1 1/2 dozen

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

1)Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats and preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Cream the butter and sugars together in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.

2) Add the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla.  Mix well and scrape the bowl.

3) Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add to the butter mixture all at once and mix until just incorporated.

4) Scoop dough onto baking sheets and bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until just set.  Allow cookies to cool slightly on the tray before transferring onto a cooling rack.  Store cookies in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment