Saturday, January 16, 2016

Cauliflower and Tomato Coconut Curry

I had such a tremendous backlog of recipes all fall - I can blame my busy schedule with taking classes or something but really I have no excuse.  That's why I am totally shocked that I am now posting a recipe that I currently have the leftovers of in my refrigerator right now!  I'd better get my butt into the kitchen.  I took a bit of a hiatus during Christmas break when I was sick, but I am still sick and I still need to eat!

This curry is pretty delicious.  I love all things cauliflower these days, and they soak up the coconut curry sauce, flavored with garam masala, perfectly.  Then there are chickpeas to keep you full, sweet potatoes, spinach, and tomatoes.  Serve this colorful dish over rice, and you've got a wildly amazing little Indian dinner.  I made it last week and have been taking the leftovers to work; they reheat beautifully.


Recipe:

cauliflower and tomato coconut curry
from A Couple Cooks

Ingredients:
1 yellow onion, diced
1 pound sweet potato (4 cupped peeled and chopped)
1 head cauliflower (5 cups chopped)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
23-ounce jar of diced plum tomatoes (I just used most of a 28-ounce can of regular diced tomatoes)
15-ounce can full fat coconut milk
15-ounce can chickpeas
4 cups spinach leaves
cilantro
brown rice

Instructions:

1) Prepare the brown rice according to the package instructions.

2) Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and saute 2 minutes, then add the sweet potato and saute 3 minutes. Add cauliflower and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and saute for another 5 minutes.  Stir in curry powder, garam masala, cumin, and cayenne.  Add the tomatoes and coconut milk.  bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until the cauliflower and sweet potato are tender.

3) Drain and rinse the chickpeas.  When the vegetables are tender, add the chickpeas and spinach and stir for 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted.  Add the other 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste.

4) Garnish with cilantro and serve with brown rice.


2 comments:

  1. Can I replace the coconut milk with something else? I don't care for coconut flavored anything. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is that you could use a cup of cream. Or if you want creaminess without using cream, you could probably stir in 1/2 cup Greek yogurt at the end; I do that sometimes!

      Delete