Friday, January 1, 2016

Spaghetti Squash Quiche Casserole

Well it's 2016!  I had such high hopes for this year... and I spent much of the first day of it sitting in Urgent Care, waiting to be seen for a terrible sinus infection.  Ah well!  Let's hope the rest of the year goes a little smoother!

Anyway... with the end of my vacation looming closer, it's time to start thinking about packing lunches and figuring out breakfasts again.  This was a really great breakfast option, courtesy of my friend Laura at work.  She raved about this spaghetti squash quiche for weeks, and would reheat it in my microwave at school, and it did smell pretty good.  Of course, her version had Canadian bacon, and mine would not; I chose to add some garlic, mushrooms, spinach, and tomato.  And hers had swiss cheese, which I forgot to buy, so more mozzarella substituted for it.  I loved my veggie version, but I do think that my next spaghetti squash quiche will have swiss cheese for a little added kick.

I know the thought of a quiche made without a crust and with lots of spaghetti squash may not sound appetizing, but I promise you it's surprisingly quiche-like.  If you want the meat version, you'll want to follow the link to the original recipe.  I recommend my vegetable additions whether you add Canadian bacon or not!  It reheats beautifully; packing a slice for work every day made the week before Christmas break bearable!

Recipe:

spaghetti squash quiche casserole
from Healthy A La Mode
serves 6 - 8

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked spaghetti squash (about 1/2 a large squash; I microwaved mine!)
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup spinach
1 small tomato, chopped
4 eggs
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup swiss cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
black pepper to taste

Instructions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 x 8 pan (I used a large pie dish).

2) Heat a large skillet over medium heat and saute chopped onion for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, mushrooms, spinach and tomato and cook for 3 -5 more minutes or until vegetables are tender and spinach is wilted.

3) In a large bowl, combine cooked spaghetti squash, eggs, cottage cheese, swiss cheese, vegetable mixture, and black pepper to taste.  Mix well and transfer to greased pan or dish.  Top with mozzarella cheese.  Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden brown.  Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment