Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna Soup

Although it is Tuesday, it's like a Friday for me.  It's Thanksgiving week!  That does mean, however, that even if I am not at school, there is still plenty of work to be done before I host the Compound Thanksgiving.  I cleaned my house after school and then I had lots of help whipping this place into shape.  Wait until you see my dining room and den.  It's all set up to have a sit-down meal for 34 people.  Susie helped with some decorating, Nick set up my new entertainment center, Kenzie and Mom set the tables and fancied the bar and dessert tables, and Jay and Ross helped move furniture.  I could not be prouder of this place I call home.  It's a beautiful, spacious, warm place, and I love it more than I ever did.

I'll probably be busy playing hostess with the mostest for the next couple days, but I simply had to share this soup with you before I disappear into the kitchen.  It's absolutely amazing, and might be a nice way to take it easy this weekend when you are turkeyed out and need a little detox from the rich, unhealthy stuff.  

It is the world's easiest soup: dump everything into the crockpot and 7 hours later, it's time to eat.  Of course, there is the step of cooking the lasagna noodles, and the mixing of the extremely not-optional ricotta topping, but still: this is super easy and soooooo good.  I made it one day when I was having my family and Allie over for dinner, and everyone loved it.  Allie even asked for the recipe.  I can't wait to make it again, if I ever have room in my refrigerator for regular groceries.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  It's been a tough year, but there is so much to be thankful for.

Recipe:

slow cooker vegetarian lasagna soup
serves 10

Ingredients:
1 yellow onion
2 cups brown mushrooms, sliced
2 zucchinis, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
6 cups vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
4 cups fresh spinach leaves
for ricotta topping:

1 8-ounce container ricotta cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
generous pinch of kosher salt

Instructions:

1) Add the onion, brown mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaves, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, kosher salt and black pepper to the liner of a slow cooker.  Set it on low and cook for 7 hours (or on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours).

2) Meanwhile, make the ricotta cheese topping.  Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

3) Once the cooking time is done, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions.  Add the cooked noodles and spinach; warm into spinach is wilted.  Ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of the ricotta cheese topping.


No comments:

Post a Comment