Sunday, November 1, 2015

Lentil Dal with Hearty Greens

Happy November!  I am super happy that it's November.  There's no real reason - it's far from my favorite month.  You know my feelings on fall - and winter.  But there is a lot to look forward to.  I am hosting Thanksgiving for 25 people this year - plenty more on that later.  I always love the post-Thanksgiving Christmas feeling.  I get lots of time off from work this month.  And things are just looking up in general.  Plus with every month that passes, I feel better and better, so I am excited to see where I am - and where my life is - by December.  Plus, there is very little chance that this November will be as hard as last November was.  I look forward to that.

One thing that has evolved in my life over the past year or so is a love for Indian food.  Indian food is great!  It's spicy, very often vegetarian, and often healthy.  Perfection.

I was excited to try this red lentil dal.  I love red lentils because they get so mushy, but there is still plenty of texture with onion, tomato, and greens (I used spinach).  it's flavored with fresh ginger, turmeric and whole cumin seeds.  Unfortunately I ran out of ginger and couldn't find cumin seeds, so powdered versions of both worked just fine.  This meal was super tasty and very filling, and it reheats beautifully.  Definitely something to make again!

Recipe:

lentil dal with hearty greens
from the Kitchn
serves 4

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups dry red lentils, rinsed
2 tablespoons oil, divided
1 small onion, diced
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2-inch piece ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
6 cups loosely packed shredded greens (beet greens, spinach or swiss chard)
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 clove garlic, smashed but left whole

Instructions:

1) Place the red lentils in a pot and add enough water to cover them.  Bring the water to a boil, skimming off any scum that rises to the top, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until creamy and tender.

2) While the lentils are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy-based pan over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and fry gently for about 5 minutes, until translucent and beginning to brown.  Add the tomatoes and ginger and cook for 3 minutes, until tomatoes soften.  Add the turmeric and stir.  Stir in the greens and let them wilt, about 5 minutes.

3) Stir in the onion-tomato-greens into the dal, and simmer for a few minutes to warm through.  Season to taste with the salt.

4) In a small pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil, and add the cumin seeds and garlic clove.  Fry for 30 seconds, until the cumin sizzles, then turn off the heat and pour the seasoned oil, cumin seeds, and garlic into the dal.  Cover and let it infuse.  Stir before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment