Saturday, September 26, 2015

Eggplant Pizzas

The best part about your friend discovering that she has a green thumb is getting her extra garden harvest!  Cathleen has supplied me all summer long with thousands of tomatoes (got some more yesterday... probably the last batch before fall hits for real :( ) and some eggplants too.

When she gave me eggplants last month, she also suggested that I try making eggplant pizzas.  They're basically little slices of eggplant that take the place of pizza dough; then you can top the with your favorite pizza toppings.  It's gluten-free, low carb, low calorie, and basically all-around perfect.  I tried this out one day when no one in my family was around, which was good, because I literally ate an entire eggplant by myself.  They're addictive.  My eggplant was skinny so each little pizza was one adorable, delicious bite.  It felt like you were going to town on those little bagel pizzas that I may or may not be obsessed with, except it's the healthy version!  Try these out, you won't regret it.  Right CF?

Recipe:

eggplant pizzas
from Cathleen!
serves 3 - 4

Ingredients:
2 - 3 medium eggplants
salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
pizza toppings - I used a jar of sauce, cheese and basil, but you can use whatever!


1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2) Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch slices, and lay the slices on paper towels.  Sprinkle with salt and let sweat for 30 minutes.  Dab with paper towels to absorb water and excess salt.

3) Brush slices with olive oil and Italian seasoning.  Roast for 20 - 30 minutes; don't let them get mushy.

4) Remove eggplant from oven; top the slices with sauce, cheese, and basil (or toppings of your choice).  Broil on low until cheese is melty and lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment