Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Caribbean Shrimp Kabobs

Okay I'm a good month or so behind when it comes to recipes.  So even though it's fall (officially now), and people are drinking pumpkin coffee and wearing boots, I am going to tell you about some grilled shrimp that I made in August.  I mean, it's not so cold that you can't grill anymore, so if you're freaking out about summer ending (like I am), then go ahead and make this meal this week and pretend it's August, or pretend you're in the Caribbean, or just pretend it's anything but a muggy late September Tuesday.

Obviously this meal isn't exactly up my alley, but my family loved it.  Even I have to admit that the marinade sounded good: orange and lime juices, cilantro, chili powder, and garlic add lots of flavor.  The shrimp marinates in it (for no more than 30 minutes, by the way, or the citrus juices start to cook the shrimp and make them tough), and then you actually cook the leftover marinade in a saucepan after you take the shrimp out.  It becomes a sauce that you drizzle over the freshly-grilled shrimp for even more flavor.  Win-win.

I made the marinate and Nick did the grilling, and I am pretty sure every shrimp kabob was devoured.  It was tasty and easy and delicious (and healthy - only 260 calories per skewer!)  I made some rice and beans for myself, but it made a good Caribbean-themed side.  May I suggest some sort of tropical drink to go with it?  Don't judge me.  It's been a long week.  And it's only Tuesday :)

Recipe:

Caribbean shrimp kabobs
from Parade Magazine, August 2015
serves 4

Ingredients:
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds peeled large raw shrimp with tails, deveined
4 12-inch wooden or metal skewers

Instructions:

1)Whisk together first 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a large shallow dish or zip-top bag.  Add shrimp.  Cover or seal, and chill 30 minutes.  If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for the 30 minutes.

2) Light charcoal grill or preheat gas grill to 350 - 400 degrees (medium high).  Remove shrimp from marinade; reserve marinade.  Thread shrimp onto skewers so they touch each other.

3) Grill shrimp, covered with grill lid, 2 minutes on each side, or just until shrimp turn pink.  Meanwhile, bring reserved marinade to a boil in a small saucepan and cook 5 minutes.  Remove from heat; drizzle over grilled shrimp.



No comments:

Post a Comment