Saturday, September 19, 2015

Cream of Asparagus on Toast

This recipe name is not the most appetizing. Cream of anything never sounds good to me; it reminds me of cans of congealed white muck.  And toast is under-appreciated (although I do believe it's becoming a tad more trendy these days).  To be honest, when my mom showed me this recipe and wanted me to make it, I was underwhelmed.  Asparagus and eggs on toast in a white sauce?  That's dinner?  But I gave it a shot, and I am so glad I did.  So keep reading.

Imagine a thick, creamy, cheesy sauce with chunks of hard boiled eggs, served over crunch toast with tender-crisp fresh asparagus.  Top it with some more slices of eggs and salt and pepper. Now imagine that the sauce is actually not that bad for you; contrary to the name, there is no cream (just milk, and you can use skim!) and only 1/4 cup of cheese.  There are tons of eggs in there for protein - and have you seen a prettier dish?  I bet you have not.  I'm telling you, this is a diamond in the rough recipe right here.

Recipe:

cream of asparagus on toast
from Red Head Can Decorate
serves 4

Ingredients:
1/2 pound fresh asparagus, 1 inch cut off bottoms
5 hard boiled eggs, peeled; 4 eggs chopped, 1 sliced in circles
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
parsley
8 slices toast

Instructions:

1) Wash asparagus.  Boil in salted water for approximately 3 minutes; drain and set aside.

2) Melt butter in medium frying pan.  Add flour and mix into a paste with a wooden spoon.  Add milk and whisk until lumps are gone.

3) Add cheddar cheese and the 4 chopped eggs.  Stir in salt and pepper.

4) Top toast with sauce and asparagus.  Garnish with parsley and sliced egg.  You can make a double decker if you want but I thought single deckers looked nicer.


2 comments:

  1. What kind of bread did you use for tosst? Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a baguette because it's what I had, but I think it would be great on some multigrain!

      Delete