Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Vegetarian Bombay Bouse Tikka Masala

I have always loved Indian food for the smorgasbord of vegetarian recipes, the flavorful spices, and the fun-to-pronounce names (how fun is it to say tikka masala?!)  So when my friend Courtney spent a couple weeks in India back in June, I thought it was appropriate for me to make an Indian meal here at home to pay homage to her awesome trip with her mom :)

I was interested in this tikka masala because it is chock full of vegetables, ranging from protein-filled chickpeas to sweet potatoes and lovely little green peas.  Then there are five super flavorful spices including cardamom and garam masala, coconut milk, and lots of fresh cilantro.  Mmmmm!  Serve the whole thing over rice and you're basically touring India with Courtney and her mom.  I've never been to India, or even to the Bombay House for that matter, but I can pretend with this tikka masala.

My family was skeptical but everyone loved this dish.  The leftovers heated up really well, too.  Definitely a great Indian recipe.  In fact, I am looking longingly at my pictures and wishing I had some for lunch today.

A couple notes: this recipe calls for a jalapeño, which I left out of the sauce, as well as a white sweet potato.  I have no clue what that is, and I certainly couldn't find them at Market Basket, so I just used a white potato and it worked perfectly.

Recipe:

vegetaian Bombay House tikka masala
serves 4 - 6

Ingredients:

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 potato, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
kosher salt
pepper
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup sweet peas
for sauce:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 14.5-ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Instructions:

1) Heat the oven to 425 degrees.  Pour the olive oil over a cookie sheet and toss all of the potatoes in it.  Top with a few pinches of kosher salt and pepper.  Roast for 15 - 25 minutes, tossing halfway through, until tender and golden.  The potatoes should be slightly dried as well, not soggy.  The last 5 minutes, add the chickpeas to heat them up.  Set aside.

2) Meanwhile, in a large skillet with high sides over medium heat, melt the butter and add the garlic.  Stir for 30 seconds and then add the seasonings.  Cook for additional 30 - 60 seconds or until fragrant.  This is blooming the seasoning and bringing out more flavor.  Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until thick.  Add the coconut milk and heavy cream.  Whisk to combine and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the veggies and peas and cook an additional 10 minutes.  Serve over white rice with cilantro.


No comments:

Post a Comment