Thursday, July 16, 2015

Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri

If you live in or anywhere new Newburyport, MA, promise me that you will go to Lexie's.  It's a burger place, and I know it's shocking that I am suggesting that you visit a burger place, but it's true.  They have something for everyone, even your favorite vegetarian.  There are regular beef burgers, chicken burgers, and super delicious and perfectly cooked bean burgers.  There are lots of really cool toppings for whatever type of patty you choose, and also amazing french fries that can come topped with said toppings or just enjoyed on their own.  As far as drinks, you can go with a beer or a milk shake, but you are making a huge life mistake if you don't try the cucumber mint lemonade, which is the most amazing drink I ever had in my life.

Focus.  So, my favorite meal there (we go as frequently as possible) is the Green Lantern on a bean burger.  The crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside burger is topped with cheddar cheese, tomato, avocado, and chimichurri sauce.  I had no idea what this sauce was, actually, and I had to google it sitting in the restaurant.  Once I saw the ingredients are mainly a little vinegar and a lot of fresh herbs, I was intrigued. Now I have never ordered anything different there, and I am officially obsessed with chimichurri.

The good news is that, even if you aren't in Newburyport right now, I am going to give you a way to enjoy chimichurri in the comfort on your own home.  As soon as I saw this steak recipe, I knew I had to try it, even though I clearly don't eat steak.  I was just excited to make my own chimichurri!  Nick took care of the steak part while I worked on the sauce, and when he took it off the grill, the sauce was ready for topping.  And, oh the sauce.  Unlike Lexie's, it isn't pureed together, which part of me liked and part of me didn't, so I might play around with that.  But I threw some of the sauce on a veggie burger and was ecstatic.  The fresh parsley and cilantro, the red onion, the garlic, the apple cider vinegar... this sauce packs a big flavor punch and makes whatever you are eating under it more amazing.  If only for the sauce, you've got to try this recipe.

Recipe:

grilled flank steak with chimichurri
from Skinny Taste
serves 6

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds flank steak
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
fresh ground pepper
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

for chimichurri sauce:
2 packed tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
2 packed tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste

Instructions:

1) Using a sharp knife, lightly score the steak about 1/8 inch deep on both sides in a crisscross pattern at 1/2 inch intervals.  In a small bowl combine the cumin, garlic powder, oregano, freshly ground pepper and kosher salt.  Season both sides of the steak with spice mix.

2) For the chimchurri, combine the red onion, vinegar, salt and olive oil and let it sit for about 5 minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Mix all ingredients together.  Note: this tastes best when the onions have been chopped by hand rather than in a food processor.

3) Prepare the grill on high heat.  Grill the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning steaks 1/4 turn after 1  1/2 minutes to form crisscross grill marks if desired.  Transfer steaks to cutting board; let rest 5 minutes.  Thinly slice steaks across grain.  Transfer to platter and top with chimichurri sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment