Friday, November 14, 2014

Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks

Yes, you're reading the title right.  Chicken.  Drumsticks.  (And honey and soy, but you probably weren't so shocked about that).  Yup, I made chicken.  Believe it or not, I made these honey soy chicken drumsticks twice.  Once during some sort of sporting event mini-party here, and once for my mom's surprise birthday party.

I am not sure what got into me there.  I saw the recipe on Pinterest and for some reason decided to try it.  Chicken is one of the meats that I never ever make.  I absolutely would rather do anything on earth than touch raw chicken (which is ironic these days because back when I ate meat, chicken was the one I liked the most).  I have been trying to be a good little housewife and make Mark some meat every now and then, but never was it chicken... until this.

I still don't know why I suddenly decided to try it out.  I think I noticed that drumsticks don't involve any cutting.  It's the cutting of chicken that gets me, so this was far less heinous that chicken breasts.  As far as meat goes, this is quick an mostly painless (yes, I wore gloves, but there was minimal touching). And I also love anything with sesame oil - not that I was going to try these, but still.  Sesame oil plus honey plus soy sauce?!  And fresh garlic and ginger?  Meat or not, I had to try it.

The first time I made them, they were all eaten up quickly by my carnivores.  When they were so successful, I added them to Mom's surprise party menu.  That time, Nick and Kenzie went to BJ's for me and bought some other cut of chicken... it was wings with some other part attached to them?  You can tell I'm not up on my chicken cut lingo... anyway, Nick had to cut the wings from the other part, and I cooked them all up the same way and they came out fine.  I guess my point is that you could probably use a different chicken part if drumsticks weren't your thing.

How are they?  No idea. But I can tell you that everyone loves them and they get devoured pretty quickly.  Plus even I have to admit that they're pretty with that deep caramel brown color.  Flavor-wise, no idea, but I am more than happy to let my friends and family eat the chicken for me.  As for me, I am planning a honey soy tofu... anyone want in on that?

Recipe:

honey soy chicken drumsticks
from Jo Cooks
serves 4

Ingredients:
2 to 3 pounds chicken drumsticks, bone in, with skin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
5 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic, or about 3 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder)
salt and pepper to taste
parsley for garnish

Instructions:

1) In a shallow 4.8 quart baking dish about 2 inches deep, whisk all the ingredients together, excluding the chicken.  Add chicken and toss, making sure each piece is coated with the marinade.

2) Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for a couple hours or overnight.

3) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Remove plastic wrap and bake the drumsticks for about am hour, turning them over halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment