Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies

I was really torn on whether or not to share this recipe.  At first I was adamant that it should be considered a failure and not blogged about.  But then when people started surprising me with compliments and asking for the recipe, I figured I had to get over my anger and just share the recipe, sob story and all.

The idea is simple but great: chocolate cookies, stuffed with pieces of marshmallow!  Genius.  The cookies themselves are chocolatey with a touch of salt (is that not the best combination?).  They are soft and chewy but have a crunch from a roll in sugar before baking.  Then you bite into one and you get surprised by a soft, gooey bite of marshmallow!

Except... there were no surprises in my cookies.  Because every single one split open and the marshmallow exploded out of it.  I will be honest, I had a total hissy fit about it.  I may or may not have thrown my spatula.  But calm, level-headed Mark came to my rescue, scraped up my exploded cookies, and put them in my Tupperware.  You see, my plan was to bake these for the paint night that was being held at my mom's.  Everyone was bringing something, and I confidently assumed I'd be bringing wonderful cookies.  And then my cookies exploded and I threw my spatula.  but, with nothing else to bring, I brought them anyway.

I wasn't going to paint... I announced I would stick with culinary arts - but I went to hang out with everyone. I sadly threw my box of cookies on the counter and the pretended not to have known who brought them.  But then something amazing happened.  Betsy said they were the best thing at the party and asked for the recipe.  People started eating them and not caring that they were ugly and surprise-less.  The craziest part happened when I came home, and the hunks that had been too misshapen to eat had been eaten by Mark, Nick and Ross, who were here having a guy's night.

So here's the deal.  These cookies did not work out for me and I don't know why.  Did I made the dough balls to small?  Too thin?  That's my best guess.  If you try these out, make the dough around the marshmallow really thick so it would have to really work to explode out!  And don't overcook them; pull them out right before you think they are done.  That's what I did, and the consistency was perfect (albeit exploded).  Regardless of how they looked, I can't deny that they were tasty.  If you try these out, please let me know!  I'm dying to hear if it's possible to keep the marshmallow hidden in there!

Recipe:

chocolate marshmallow cookies
from NoBiggie

Ingredients:
5 marshmallows cut into thirds
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar (plus 1/2 cup for rolling)
1 cup Crisco
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 unbeaten eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions:

1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Cut marshmallows in thirds using scissors and place in freezer while preparing cookie dough.

2) Measure and sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.

3) In a separate bowl, cream together the sugar, brown sugar and Crisco.

4) Blend into the sugar bowl the 2 unbeaten eggs and vanilla.  Beat together well.  Stir in the dry ingredients.

5) Roll dough around each marshmallow third, sealing it in a small ball.  Roll each ball in sugar and place on a cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart.

6) Bake for 4 1/2 to 5 minutes - it is better to undercook them than to overcook them.  Set out on racks to cool.  These cookies freeze very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment