Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Crock Pot Applesauce

Yes, again with the Crockpot, and no, I'm not sorry about it.  Plus this is basically one of the few things that I have made in it that I have actually enjoyed!

Let's talk about this applesauce.  First of all, you don't even have to be an applesauce person to love it.  It's tart and sweet with a hint of lemon and cinnamon.  It makes your house smell glorious.  And the best part?  It's ridiculously simple to make.  The hardest part is peeling and coring the apples.  Oh by the way: apple corers!?  How have I never had one until my wedding shower?  What an amazing little tool.

Oh and how did I leave out the coolest part?  The recipe calls for a mix of 8 apples.  I had a few left from the store, and ended up using some from my very own tree in the backyard.  I was super excited about that.  That apple tree was the source of much discussion all summer: what kind was it?  Crab apple?  Something else?  The size of the apples, along with the sweetness, make me realize now that this is a legit apple tree, and the apples just happen to be heavenly when turned into sauce!

There was nothing so exquisite as eating this applesauce warm, straight out of the slow cooker.  But a very close second was when I packed it up and took it with me to school.  It could be any temperature, really, and I would still be in love with it.  I foresee many batches applesauce in my near future with this recipe in hand.  My mouth is literally watering as I sit here typing.

Recipe:

crock pot applesauce
from SkinnyTaste

Servings: 12 • Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 1 pts
Calories: 65.9 • Fat: 0.2 g • Protein: 0.2 g • Carb: 17.5 g • Fiber: 2.8 g • Sugar: 12
Sodium: 0.6 mg

Ingredients:
8 medium apples (use a combination of types)
1 strip of lemon peel - use a vegetable peeler
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3 inch cinnamon stick
5 tablespoons light brown sugar

Instructions:

1) Peel, core, and slice the apples.  Place them in the slow cooker.

2)  Add the cinnamon stick, lemon peel, lemon juice and brown sugar.  Set crock pot to low and cook for 6 hours.  Stir apples occasionally; they will slowly become a delicious applesauce.

3) Remove cinnamon stick and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.  If you prefer a chunky sauce, leave sauce intact.  I just used a fork to mash it up a bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment