Friday, January 17, 2014

Reuben Pigs in Blankets

Yup, pigs in blankets.  With hot dogs.  Real hot dogs.  I'm trying, I really am, to make some meat every now and then for my family.  I can't say that I want to do it often, since after spending time making food, you want to eat it yourself, and I don't want to eat meat.  But still.  I wouldn't call it a New Year's Resolution, but it's a goal.  Hence these pigs in blankets.

My December issue of Food Network Magazine had a whole section of different kinds of pigs in blankets, and I thought that would have minimal meat touching.  I thought the Reuben ones sounded interesting - although not so good for me, because I don't like hot dogs or sauerkraut.  I also felt like it would be Nick's dream snack, so I refused to even tell him about it.  I made it as a surprise one night when we were watching some sort of sporting event (probably football... it's always football).

These are pretty easy, but make sure you have a nice big work space.  You have to be able to roll out the crescent dough, spread sauerkraut and relish on top, add a hot dog, sprinkle it with shredded swiss cheese, and then roll it back up.  Then they get sprinkled with caraway seeds - real reuben style.  I bought mini hot dogs but then let them rot in the fridge before I remembered I wanted to use them, so Kenzie picked up regular-sized ones and I just cut them up (which was gross).  They are served with thousand island dressing.

The final result?  I tried one and wasn't a fan, but that was expected.  Neither was my mom, but she isn't big on sauerkraut either.  I made a double batch and most of them went.  They were pretty flavorful, and it seemed like people were eating more of them than they planned (I was told they were addictive).  But I think I will stick with healthy vegetarian snacks from now on!  All you carnivores out there, you might end up being pretty popular during the next football game if you bring these with you.

Recipe:

Reuben pigs in blankets
from the December issue of Food Network Magazine
makes 24 servings

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained and roughly chopped
3 tablespoons pickle relish
1 8-ounce tube crescent roll
2 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
24 beef cocktail franks
1 large egg, lightly beaten
caraway seeds, for topping
thousand island dressing for dipping

Instructions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degres and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Combine the sauerkraut and relish in a small bowl; set aside.

2) Unroll the crescent dough and pinch the seams together with your fingers.  Cut the dough in half lengthwise, then slide each half crosswise into 12 strips.  Spread about 1 teaspoon of the sauerkraut-relish mixture on each strip of dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border on one short end.  Sprinkle with the cheese.  Place 1 frank on each strip of dough and roll the dough around the frank, pressing lightly to seal.

3) Transfer to the baking sheet seam-side down; brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with caraway seeds.  Bake until the dough is golden brown, about 15 minutes.  Serve with thousand island dressing.





No comments:

Post a Comment