Monday, November 12, 2012

Lemon Pudding Cake

Tonight I felt the need for something sweet, which is rather unlike me, but I was craving it!  I asked for help choosing a recipe since I can get bogged down in my cookbooks, so Alex sent me a recipe he'd found for lemon pudding cake.  The recipe said it's an "ooey-gooey citrus dessert that's part cake and part pudding."  Could that sound more amazing?  I love lemon - and we accidentally have 2 bags worth of lemons right now - so it was the perfect dessert for tonight.

It almost felt like I was making baked Alaska again; you have to separate the eggs and first make a concoction out of the yolks and other ingredients, and then you whip the whites and fold them into the first mixture - very similar to the baked Alaska.  But then I tossed it into a loaf pan and baked it for 50 minutes.  The recipe says to cover the top with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking so it doesn't get too brown, but it was very brown by that time already, so I'd recommend covering it up earlier. 

The final result is what it said it would be: ooey-gooey part cake, part pudding!  I don't think it has quite enough lemon flavor as I wanted it to; the recipe called for 1/3 - 1/2 cup lemon juice, and I used more like 1/3.  I would use 1/2 cup next time.  I also think if you don't love eggs, you won't like this dessert.  It's basically a souffle, and there are 4 eggs in there, so it's a littl eggy.  I don't mind it, but Mark was a little freaked out by it! Both sisters hate it intensely but mom loved it. Who knew?

Recipe:
lemon pudding cake

No comments:

Post a Comment