Saturday, November 10, 2012

Cocoa-Coffee Crinkles

Yesterday was the birthday of my dear friend, Dani.  We were a bit horrified to realize that we have been friends for 14 whopping years because we are old ladies, but nevertheless, I love her, so automatically I asked her what her dream dessert was.  She said cookies, specifically chocolate, so I grabbed my cookie magazine that Mark got me a few weeks ago. This magazine is full of great ideas - remember my apple cookies? - so when I found cocoa-coffee crinkles, I knew I had to make them.  I loved the crinkles I made a few months ago; I think they come out so pretty with their big cracks and wrinkles, not to mention delicious.  These ones get coated in cocoa powder and sugar, rather than the traditional powdered sugar.

The dough has to chill for an hour, so be ready for these cookies to take a while if you plan on making them.  Other than that, they're pretty straight-forward; they're flavored with cocoa powder and instant coffee granules - in addition to a hint of cinnamon, which I love.  One thing that I thought was a bit weird was that you roll the dough into balls, and then shape each ball into logs.  I'm not really sure why.  After my first batch, I thought the logs looked a bit too much like cat poop.  I prefeer nice round cookies!  So I made the rest of the dough into balls and I was happy with that decision! 

This recipe makes a ton of cookies; I made mine into fairly small little balls and ended up with probably around 3 dozen cookies.  Iwas able to pack a bunch into a bowl for Dani and leave some at home for my family.  The cookies are really chocolatey, with that touch of cinnamon that I love, and of course a little bit of mocha going on as well!  I confess to eating three as they cooled.  Don't neglect to sprinkle the remainder of your cocoa-sugar coating on the cookies after they cool; it makes the flavors jump out a bit more.

Recipe:
adapted from the 100 Best Cookies: Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications, 2012

Cocoa-Coffee Crinkles

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1  tablespoon instant coffee crystals
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 egg whites
        for cookie coating:
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Instructions:
1.  In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.  Add brown sugar, the 2/3 cup cocoa powder, coffee crystals, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Beat until combined.

2.  Beat in egg whites.  Beat in as much flour as you can.  Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.  Cover and chill 1 hour or until easy to handle.

3.  Preheat ove to 350 degrees.  In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and the 2 tablespoons cocoa powder to make cookie coating; set aside.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in sugar mixture, reserving remaining mixture.  Place balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.

4. Bake 8-10 minutes (mine were pefect after 10 minutes exactly) or until edges are firm.  Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool.  Sprinkle cookies with the remaining sugar mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment