banana cream pie
1 stick butter
1/2 cup Crisco
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups boiling water
1 cup of room temperture water ( 1/2 cup boiling water 1/2 cup cold water)
4 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
4 large eggs, beaten
8 1/2 - 9 cups of flour (I used 9)
for egg wash glaze: 1 whole egg, beaten
sesame seeds for top
1) Cut butter and Crisco into small pieces and add to a large bowl.
2) Add 1 teaspoon sugar.
3) Add 2 cups boiling water and mix well with wooden spoon till the shortening and the butter are completely melted.
4) Add 1 cup room temperature water.
5) Check that this mixture is warm to touch.
6) Sprinkle the yeast onto the mixture and gently fold in.
7) Allow mixture to stand for 3-5 minutes or until yeast is activated ( watch for froth under surface).
8) Mix well.
9) Add 1 cup sugar, salt, and beaten eggs, and mix well.
10) Add flour in stages and mix.
11) Form into dough ( will be a soft dough).
12) Place in a greased bowl (grease bowl with 1 tsp. olive oil) and cover with a clean towel. Wrap bowl with towels to keep warm.
13) Allow dough to rise to double its size about, 2-3 hours.
14) Turn onto floured counter.
15. You have two options for shaping:
- Easy option: cut into pieces: 2 inch wide by 4 inch wide roll shape.
- Harder but pretty option: Roll a golf ball-sized dough ball into a 16-18" rope; tear off 1/3 of it. Take the longer piece and make a horseshoe shape with it. Take the little piece, moosh it right into the middle of the horseshoe, and braid the three strips.