Saturday, March 5, 2016

Spinach, Mozzarella and Feta Egg Bake

I love weekends.  I love sleeping late (well, laying Daisy out early, but then going back to bed), drinking coffee on the couch, catching up on homework and my recorded TV shows.  And I love making breakfast.  In the past 2 or 3 months, I have started making myself a nice breakfast every weekend morning.  Usually it's just a fried egg sandwich, but other times it's something like this egg bake.  One major benefit of something like this is that I can't eat the whole thing in a day - or even a weekend - so I can bring some of the leftovers to work to eat before school starts.  I don't eat lunch until 12:30 or 1:00, so when I leave my house at 7:30, I need to plan ahead, or it's a looooong morning!

I actually played around with this recipe a little bit.  I know, not like me at all! I cut it in half, first of all, because it's just me, and it would take me about a week to eat an egg bake with 8 eggs!  Plus, I only happened to have 4 eggs left.  Second, I added feta, because, well, cheese.  I had some, and feta and spinach go together like peanut butter and jelly.  I also added about 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder rather than the Spike seasoning mix it called for, but I think that next time, I would use a clove of minced garlic sautéed with the spinach instead.  I left out scallions only because I didn't have any, but I'd try them if you've got them. Lastly, I added milk to fluff the eggs up a little. I will adjust the recipe to show all this.  Feel free to go to the original recipe or try out my little changes; either way, you'll be happy when you have breakfast ready to go!

Recipe:

spinach, mozzarella and feta egg bake
adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen
makes 3 - 4 servings

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh spinach
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup feta
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

1)  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray an 8 1/2 x 12" casserole dish with nonstick spray.

2) Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the spinach and garlic.  Stir just until the spinach is wilted and garlic is softened, about 2 -3 minutes.  Transfer spinach and garlic to casserole dish, spreading it all around so the bottom of the dish is covered.  Layer cheeses and scallions on top.

3) Beat the eggs with the milk. Pour the egg mixture over the spinach/cheese combination.  Use a fork to gently stir so the eggs, spinach and cheeses are evenly combined.

4) Bake about 20-25 minutes or until the mixture is completely set and starting to brown lightly.  Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment