Friday, May 15, 2015

Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie

This is my 501st post!  Is that crazy or what?  I've literally posted more than 500 recipes since 2012.  That's insane to me.  But also so very good.

You know what sandwich gets under-appreciated? Peanut butter and jelly.  It's simple and cheap to make, it's the only sandwich you can throw in a lunchbox and not worry about salmonella if you forget an ice pack, and let's be honest, it's delicious.  As an adult with plenty of leftovers for lunch all the time, I rarely find myself resorting to a PB&J, but I love them nevertheless.  This is why, when I saw the genius idea for a peanut butter and jelly smoothie, I was all over that.

We got a Ninja blender system from the Ajemians for our shower, and lately I have been starting to become a smoothie person.  I really love the little individual-sized smoothie cup, where you blend it right in the cup, add a cover, and go.  No need to haul out the big blender cup and pour the smoothie into a travel mug.  Genius.  I've mostly been just throwing random fruits and almond milk into the blender, but this recipe gave me something new to try.

my beloved to-go blender cup
Also, hello: 23 grams of protein.  This is breakfast that will keep you full until lunch even though it tastes like dessert.

Oh, and there are only 5 ingredients, so this is quick and easy (there's only one step!!!) .  A banana (it's supposed to be frozen, but mine wasn't and all was well), Greek yogurt, almond milk, peanut butter, and frozen berries are all you need for a PB&J smoothie.  I used a mixture of strawberries and blueberries, because that's what I had frozen.  The end result was just as awesome as I expected it to be: a thick, purple, sweet smoothie that somehow was also healthy while tasting like a milkshake.  You should probably swap your morning oatmeal for this.  Or your after-school cookies.  Or your anything.

Recipe:

peanut butter and jelly smoothie
from Sally's Baking Addiction
yield 1 very large smoothie

Ingredients:
1 medium banana, peeled, sliced and frozen
6 ounces Greek Yogurt, flavored or unflavored (mine was plain)
1 cup frozen berries
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon peanut butter

Instructions:

Put all of the ingredients into the blender in the order listed.  Blend on high until thick and smooth.  You may need to stop and stir/scrape down the sides of the blender a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment