Saturday, May 30, 2015

Avocado Egg Salad

I have never liked egg salad.  I think it's mostly the huge amounts of mayonnaise, which is right up there with meat as things I avoid.  But avocados?  That changes everything.  And no mayo?  And Greek yogurt instead!?!  Yes please.

Besides the obvious hard-boiled eggs and avocado, this salad is flavored with scallions, a little dijon mustard, and lemon juice.  So delicious, and yet so simple.

I was excited about this salad as soon as I saw it.  I whipped up a batch real fast for lunch one Saturday and had a wonderful sandwich on whole wheat bread.  And I may or may not have eaten the leftovers for breakfast the next day spread on a bagel.  And perhaps the next weekend I made it for my family.  And perhaps I now have avocados and obscene amounts of eggs in the fridge to make even more.  It's an addictive salad, just believe me.  You've been warned.

One note: the salad calls for 4 eggs, but you discard the yolks of 2 of some weird reason.  I left mine in the salad and I promise, as someone who often avoids egg yolk, that it was just fine that way!

Recipe:

avocado egg salad
from Two Peas and Their Pod

Ingredients:
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 hard boiled egg whites, chopped
2 small avocados, pitted and peeled
1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions:

1) In a medium bowl, combine the hard boiled eggs and egg whites, avocado, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, green onion, and mustard.  Mash with a fork.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

2) To serve, spread between two slices of bread, eat with crackers, cut up veggies, spread on toast, or have it in a wrap.  This salad is best eaten the day it's made, but it will be okay the following day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment